Buying a macbook pro at Apple store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DavidReha, Jun 25, 2009.

1. DavidReha macrumors newbie

Hallo,
    I am sorry for this stupid question, but I am not from US (I am from Europe) and I am lost. I am going to New york next week and I would like to buy the a macbook pro:apple: (15.4inch 2.53Ghz). I would like to buy it as cheap as possible but I also want to have a worldwide guarantee from apple. Therefore it would be best to go to normal apple store (for example 5th avenue), or do you recommend me anything else?? And now-my questinon:cool:!--How much will I have to pay? (online apple store-1699, but I have heart that there is a tax:mad: or what...Could you please explain it or give me advice??
    Thanks very much:)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You will pay taxes in New York.
    I can't help you with the worldwide warranty.

3. YOKOJP macrumors member

I'm from NY. If you are getting the MBP 15.4 2.53GHZ the total with sales tax is $1841.29. If you want Applecare (works worldwide) then the total will be $2219.52. But if you head to Delaware then it's tax-free. It's only about a hour drive from NYC.

Enjoy your trip in the BIG APPLE.

Hope this helps.

4. Advil macrumors 6502a

I ordered my uMBP from amazon.com and even with next day shipping it was cheaper than at the apple store by a lot. I avoided the 10% sales tax of texas AND got the $200 education discount. almost $400 of savings!

5. halogan macrumors newbie

The first (and in the US only) year of warranty is worldwide. You have two options - to buy AppleCare (but you have to find out if your local reseller supports it) or to buy additional years of warranty from your local reseller - at there can also be a glitch of some kind - either he sells it only for machines purchased in your home country, or he does, but it's more expensive than AppleCare.

You'll have to look that up.

Where are you from? I'm guessing slavic countries.

6. cu2010 macrumors 6502

Also New Hampshire, which is about the same distance from NYC.

7. DavidReha thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right:D -Czech republic

8. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

Where in Texas is the sales tax 10%?

9. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Wait, how did you get the education discount from amazon?

10. Advil macrumors 6502a

It was the default price actually. They had a "hidden" price for ~1800 and i avoided sales tax by ordering

11. DavidReha thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all your replies, I helped me a lot;)

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

It will be a US style keyboard if you buy in america, you will probably want the european keyboard.

13. md63 macrumors 6502

Are you going to have a car and be willing to travel around to buy the computer? NYC to Delaware is a minimum of 2 hrs each way. Figure you are going to spend money on gas tolls and time to avoid tax. I would forget about NH since it would take over 4 hrs each way so you are killing more time. Remember time is money. Forget about Amazon if you are having it shipped to NY State since Amazon now collects local sales tax in NY.

The cheapest option in NY area would be to buy at Microcenter in Patterson, NJ since for some reason they only charge 1/2 of the 7% New Jersey tax rate. A $2000 MBP would cost about $2,172 in Manhattan but would cost only $2,070 at Microcenter in NJ. The drive is only about 30 minutes from New York.

Hope this helps.

14. themagicman00 macrumors member

I'm trying to get a MBP13 from Amazon and there is nowhere to be found the Educational Discount you mentioned in your message. I did find the Educational discount at apple.com...but its $100.
    thanks
    Chris

15. suburbia macrumors 6502

David,

My advice to you is to purchase your MBP at the Apple store. Confirm that the warranty is valid internationally as you're from the Czech Republic. You may want to purchase Applecare at the Apple Store as the Applecare for MBP is internationally accepted. And spend the remainder of your time enjoying NYC. Don't bother running around upstate or any other place to save a bit of money and waste your vacation time :)

16. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

why would you by a mac at apple? why dont you just buy it on ebay or craigslist? Much cheaper.

17. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

He said he is from Europe and is going to NYC and wants to save money by buying it in the US to avoid overseas taxes.

OP, honestly, buying in NYC will be expensive due to the outrageous sales tax. You simply won't be able to avoid it, but if you want to save some cash, go across the river to NJ where tax is 7%. Or, if you can, I would try to go to Delaware and get it tax free, but that is quite faraway.

18. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

why would you by a mac at apple? why dont you just buy it on ebay or craigslist? Much cheaper.

19. MADMAXX macrumors member

And as soon as the customs find it youll pay tax leaving us into europe.

20. d0mth0ma5 macrumors member

Obviously i'm not telling you to do this, as it would be very very wrong, but if one wanted to avoid such an issue one would buy a laptop bag (or put it in one that one already had) and mail back ones documentation separately. One could also bring a USB stick with them and bang across some files so that if customs checked (they wouldn't) they would see that you had been using it for some times.