Buying a MacBook Pro - but which one ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snow-munki, Jan 25, 2015.

  1. snow-munki macrumors newbie

    Nov 27, 2011
    Ok decided I'm going to get a MacBook Pro later today. It is for work so for VMware fusion and running lots of vmwares for home lab etc.

    Looking at that I've decided on at least the 16gb model with perhaps 512 ssd

    Now not sure if it is worth the extra for the 2.5 ghz and then extra again for the nvidia graphics.

    Getting very expensive !! What do you think ?
  2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Oct 24, 2013
    If you are going refurb by the time you have a 2014 with 512gb (all 2014 are 16gb) then the 2.5 with nvidia is only an extra £50...
  3. damidget macrumors regular

    Aug 3, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I would go with the larger SSD if you are running multiple VM's just in case.
  4. snow-munki thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 27, 2011
    Yeah the refurb store says it is from July 2014. Assume that is the latest model ?

    So the 2.5Ghz i& with 16GB Ram, 512 SSD and Nvidia graphics best one to go for ? For £1699 !! :eek:

    Just for vmware so seems pointless have the better graphics ?
  5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

    Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    The 750M is totally worth it, you'll never know when you might need one.

    Besides, by the time you throw in a 512GB SSD, it's already expensive enough to the point that adding a 750M is only a tiny dent in the budget.

    It also runs cooler, because when on Iris Pro only, all tasks are consolidated into one chip. This increases the CPU's temperature and causes throttling to occur.

    When I forced the 750M to be active, tasks were spread out across two chips, so the CPU temperature was cooler.

    I stress-tested on Iris Pro-only and 750M-only with a utility called Macoh, and when on Iris Pro, throttling occurred pretty fast. On the 750M, throttling never occurred throughout the entire test.

Share This Page

4 January 25, 2015