Buying a MacBook Pro - Do it now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacPerforma, Oct 26, 2010.

  1. MacPerforma macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    #1
    I'm planning on buying a MacBook Pro sometime in the future, and as Apple announced new processor updates to the MBP line last week, I'm a little confused. Is this considered a product refresh, in which case we might not see another refresh until mid-2011, or is word on the street that bigger and better things are around the corner? I noticed that the MacRumors buyer's guide currently lists the MacBook Pro as "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle", so I'm kind of on the fence. I don't need it right away, so if I can wait a little longer and get something that's more of a refreshed product, I'll definitely do it.

    I know this is a difficult game to play with any computer technology, but I just thought I'd see if anyone is expecting Apple to do a major refresh of the MacBook Pro line anytime soon.

    Thanks!
     
  2. modit macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    I'm in the same boat but it would be dumb of me not to mention to you that dozens of threads with various speculation are on this topic.

    I'm probably not going to wait since I'm in my first year of University and I really need a computer to get away from VERY busy public library computers.

    Here's my expectation on the Pros and Cons of waiting until Jan-April 2011

    Pro
    -Hi res screen
    -Better battery life
    -Thinner

    Con
    -Non replaceable flash memory
    -No back-lite keyboard
    -Ugly wedge shape (MacBook Air style)

    If you can wait...wait. If you need it now, BUY! ;)
     
  3. the-ep macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2010
    Location:
    Wait, where am I again?
    #3
    The processor "upgrade" was not quite a product refresh, as it was only offered as a (very expensive) BTO option for the otherwise unchanged MBPs.

    The soonest actual refresh of the MBP will probably be around Jan - Apr 2011, with the introduction of Intel's Sandy Bridge processors.

    Following the upgrading / refresh game is a joke, as any computer you buy will be outmoded as soon as you receive it. Thus, I'll say (along with many others in the scores of similar threads on the forum) that if you need it now, buy one, and wait out if you don't.
     
  4. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

    harry20larry

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2008
    #4
    I have got a 2008 Alu MacBook and am holding out till next year because I wanna see what the performance updates bring as I am starting to need the extra power for my photos
     
  5. electronique macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #5
    Im in that same large ship.

    Im going to wait.. I am 'hoping' this will be a nice upgrade. If not, i'll try and find a refurb.
     
  6. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago
    #6
    I'm in the same situation I have a 2008 mb but want more power for games, bigger screen etc.. Look at your funds too, I'd say wait till the next refresh likely Jan-Feb. It wont be march or april, thats a year from the last upgrade, too much time. Never mind the airs crazy long refresh time. I highly think :

    the optical drive will remain

    flash memory will be an option

    gpu upgrade

    SB


    What do you think?
     
  7. Pulpdiction macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2010
    #7
    Sandy Bridge will ship in volume in Q1, Intel have already announced that. If you combine that with the pattern of updates for the past 3 years (2008-2010) which shows an update every 8 months or so I see the next update coming in Feb 2011. I'm gonna hang on, I want the 13" Macbook pro but can wait and hoefully get the boost in processor, better screen res, USB3 and better gfx performance.
     
  8. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

    vipergts2207

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #8
    The MBP's will probably not see a new chassis design for a few more years. Also, if the MBP's do indeed get onboard flash memory, they will not rely solely on flash memory. The onboard flash will just contain the OS for "instant on". It will still have an HDD or SSD. And the no backlight thing you said is just nonsense.
     
  9. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #9
    I find it hard to believe that the regular MBP will lose the HDD in favor of soldered in flash memory and go to the ugly wedge. the MBA is for a specific market. An MBP with only soldered in flash memory would not be attractive to many people. Do you see any 500gb flash memory devices available for the same price as a 500gb HDD? When I looked on the Apple web site, a 512 GB flash drive is a $1300 premium over the price. If we're talking about a laptop that only costs 1,200 in the first place, who's going to pay an extra $1300 for flash drive? They might drop the internal optical drive, but can't see dropping HDD entirely.
     
  10. seek3r macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2010
    #10
    I wouldn't be surprised to see both. A flash module for boot and an option for spinning disk for storage

    Here's to hoping!
     
  11. sandylp macrumors regular

    sandylp

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2004
    Location:
    San Francisco Bay Area
    #11
    I agree with you. I have a 2009 13" MBP and it's still doing everything I need, so I'm willing to wait until the processors are upgraded to Sandy Bridge. From what I've read, it's a new microarchitecture from Intel and is worth the wait. I think they could be announced in January or April. If you don't have any computer at all, or if yours is giving you significant problems, then you have a good reason for buying now. Otherwise...wait!
     
  12. aldo818 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2009
    Location:
    South of France
    #12
    what do you guys think about an MBA with all options 4GB ram and 2,13 Ghz
     
  13. JYoung007 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2010
  14. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 12, 2010
    #14
    I wish the mods would just make a sticky about MBP speculation.
     
  15. RedburnIV macrumors regular

    RedburnIV

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2010
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #15
    Same boat...I don't know if I should get my first mac now or wait....I'm pretty impatient.
     
  16. fcortese macrumors demi-god

    fcortese

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2010
    Location:
    Big Sky country
    #16
    +1. No offense to the OP but there is one or two of these similar threads per week...or so it seems.
     
  17. urfankhaliq macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2010
    #17
    To buy or not to buy

    Its a big topic hence why the new threads all the time! I cant wait for the update. Never had a mac before and wanting to get the MBP. got the money waiting but dont want to buy now only to find it being upgraded!!
     
  18. henry999 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2010
    #18
    In the Autumn of 1983, as a post-graduate student, I recognised that I would sooner rather than later be needing one of these new-fangled 'personal computers'. I had some background in mainframes and minis, but I was far from being a Nerd. For Christmas of that year, I bought my brother a book called something like 'How to buy your first computer'. I had, obviously, the ulterior motive of borrowing it and at the first decent opportunity -- some time in January, I think -- I got it from him. Anyway, the year went by -- like you, I had the money but didn't want to make a mistake -- until finally in December of '84 I bought an original Mac 128K. The rest is history ... but that's not for now.

    What I want to go back to now is that book. Your man had a very wise bit of advice. It is just common sense now, but in the early days it was a warning well sounded. He explained what he called the 'But wait...!' syndrome, which turned out to be exactly right.

    'I'm looking to buy a new computer and this model xxx looks great.'

    'Yeah, it is. BUT WAIT! In January, or April, there will be an upgrade with 99x MHz and 34x MB and xSuperDuper video'.

    OK, so I wait. And in ... July, finally ... here comes the updated version. Yeah, man!

    'BUT WAIT! Just around the corner the CPU's 99x will be 99x the 99x! And there will be ..."

    You get the point. As we all know, now, if you fall victim to the 'BUT WAIT!' syndrome, you will never buy anything!

    Despite the 100% uncertainty -- not to call it chaos -- of trying to predict Apple's announcements, I think the Buyer's Guide system of recommending wait, maybe or go, depending on the chronological track record for a particular device and your needs at the moment, is pretty good advice. I say this as someone who bought a PPC 604 just before the G3s came out ... AND a PB G4 just before they switched to Intel. :eek:

    cheers,

    Henry
     

Share This Page