Buying a MacBook Pro Even Though i've got an iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jaywongy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. jaywongy macrumors member

jaywongy

I need a bit of help. I am stuck for what i want for christmas (I know it's a long time away, I'm just wondering early) So I thought I would ask for a MacBook Pro. I already have an iMac and don't know whether to get a MacBook because I already have the iMac. Does anyone have an iMac & a MBP and if you do can you say if it is worth getting. I'm just worried if i buy a MBP then my iMac will become neglected. :D

2. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I wish I had worries like that in my life :rolleyes: While your at it why don't you ask mommy and daddy for a pony and a new car while your at it.

3. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I've got both of 'em. 17 inch iMac and a 17 inch MBP. I use the MBP much more often than the iMac because it is faster. But currently, I can only use the iMac because the MBP is broken. Its fun having both and I can use the iMac as an external HD.

4. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

Thanks for that and Tower-Union theres no need for the sarcasm i was only asking if it would be worth getting for christmas, as you don't know the circumstances for me getting a MBP.

5. Mufasa804 macrumors regular

I own an iMac and a 15" Macbook Pro. I use them both evenly. I tend to leave my iMac do all the heavy converting or editing and I download all my stuff on my Macbook Pro. Mobile Me syncs everything together, so as long as you have a Mobile Me account, your iMac is basically your MBP and vice versa. Back to my Mac is also VERY awesome. I love it.

6. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

Yes i had the same idea but then realised that if I just used the MBP for downloading and stuff like that then I might as well just buy another Windows Laptop for cheap

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you don't need a Macbook Pro, what's the point in buying one? Either your iMac or Macbook Pro will end up being used less.

8. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

You might consider showing your elders (i.e. the OP) a little more respect.

9. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I use only a MBP, but I think if I had a desktop I would get along fine with a MacBook. When I don't use my MBP like a desktop (w/ext monitor/keyboard/mouse) I mostly just do email and browsing. For that a MacBook would be perfectly adequate, assuming the smaller screen would be OK. I think you really need to ask yourself how you plan to use a laptop, and decide on the model from there, regardless of the iMac.

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have both and don't regret owning them either!

I originally started out with a MBP from 2007, kept it a year and then sold it. Bought a MacBook, kept it for four months and then sold it. Bought an iMac and have no plans on getting rid of it. It's connected to a 23" ACD.

I had also bought a Mac Pro and kept it for a year (it was serious overkill for my needs) and then sold it to buy the MacBook Pro. I have no plans on getting rid of the MacBook Pro, I'm loving it!

I use the iMac to watch movies and TV shows in bed with the remote control and the 23" ACD makes them look good.

I don't neglect either of them and they both gets lots of use.

11. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

What makes you think he's my elder? For that matter, why should respect be garnered simply by being born before someone else?

12. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

yes i could use the imac to watch movies, oh and i forgot to mention that i have it wirelessly sharing my printer and external hardrive so it would be a good idea getting a macbook pro... or should i get the white macbook ? :apple: