Buying a macbook pro for college.. please help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nrodzz, Jul 19, 2013.

1. nrodzz macrumors newbie

Hello! I'm starting college again in mid August and I'd like to buy a 13" macbook pro. However, I've been following up on the Buyer's guide but I'm still not sure if I should buy the macbook pro now (basic model, it's at $999 with the student discount) or wait for Haswell (I think it's only the retinas that are getting a refresh?). I'm studying (Interactive) Advertising and my college uses iMacs in the "creative" class rooms (aka when we have to use Adobe programs among others). I've only been using Photoshop for now but, going into my 3rd year, I will have to use other programs depending on the classes. A big majority of the students who study something with graphic designing, film and others use macbook pros (there's a percentage of chance that they might not all be new but yeah, that's what upgrading is for, right?). It's not that I'm giving into "peer pressure" since I have been saving up for years. I just want to not regret my purchase. Although the retina may be beautiful, it doesn't convince me so that one is out (plus I sometimes use my disk drive because of my dad).

Sorry if this was a big paragraph but I really need help. Thank you!

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Have you also considered the Macbook Air? If you can deal with the 128GB of storage it will generally be a faster machine. It has a newer generation processor with faster graphics, fast solid state storage instead of a mechanical hard drive, longer battery life, and a higher resolution screen.

The main downsides are the lack of ability to upgrade RAM yourself and the screen also doesn't have quite as good colors and viewing angles as the 13" MBP.

That said the 13" MBP for $999 is a pretty decent deal, and it's something that you can upgrade yourself later. If you do buy it I would recommend saving up to replace the hard drive with an SSD at some point, it will make many tasks seem much more responsive.