Buying a MacBook Pro from Amazon

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by teerexx52, Mar 23, 2008.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I am interested in getting a previous generation MacBook Pro 2.4 from Amazon for my wife. What I can't seem to find is how to know if you are ordering glossy or matte? Can anyone advise? Thanks

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If it's glossy, it will say so somewhere on the page (usually next to the screen size and resolution). If it's matte, it won't.

3. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

thanks

4. mets1125 macrumors regular

The MBP from amazon are matte. If you look at the specs you will see it there. Amazon does not sell the glossy MBP :mad:

5. mets1125 macrumors regular

Thanks I didnt know they sold the glossy version. :eek:

6. crayonshin macrumors member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MPB that link leads to is one of the old models. It's confusing because it is listed as "not released yet" with a release date of this month. However, if you google the Apple part number, you'll see that it is a Merom MBP and not one of the current Penryns.

I also did a search for "MacBook glossy". I comes up with the one you linked to as well as the old base 2.2 MBP and the old 17" MBP. Maybe they actually will get glossy-screened Penryns and update that product page, but as of now, I don't see where you can buy one on Amazon (glossy Penryn that is). Am I missing something?

EDIT: My bad, looks like the OP wants the old model. As of now, they only have the 2.2GHz that I can see and it says only 2 in stock.

7. local711 macrumors newbie

Regarding this MBP (the older Merom one on Amazon):

Wikipedia says-

SO, My question is, can you actually upgrade to and use 4GB on this model, or can you only use 4GB on the new Peryns. If you can, how can you make sure that it works?

8. marioblackman23 macrumors member

You seem To Be forgetting the link i posted was for the 2.4 the Op asked for.

and yeah local711 you can upgrade and use 4gb of ram on this model. I dont think there is any certain way to make sure it works (something can always go wrong) if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself you can take it to a it technician and have them install it for you. And make sure you but it from a trusthwory ram dealer e.g. OWC, Newegg.

9. mets1125 macrumors regular

10. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thanks and now in stock. So should I get this one or the base model new model? hmmmm

11. crayonshin macrumors member

I didn't forget. I was just stating what they had in stock at the time. As teerexx52 just mentioned though, they now have the 2.4 he wanted back in stock.

teerexx52, I would recommend the new base model. The after rebate price difference is only $75 currently (new one is more). It's pretty much the same speed. However, you gain a much cooler running CPU with SSE4 instructions, multitouch trackpad, bluetooth 2.1, better battery life, etc. Easily worth $75. Only problem is that they don't have the new ones in glossy. Not sure which one you wanted since you only asked how to tell which one you're buying. I myself, got the new base model matte. Should be receiving it this week.

12. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thanks very much. Yes, I do want the glossy so guess I'll wait

13. local711 macrumors newbie