Buying a MacBook Pro, how to transfer licensed apps over?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by firstapple, Apr 22, 2008.

1. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Hey all,

I am probably going to be getting a MacBook Pro this weekend or next weekend and I was wondering how I go about transferring all of my purchased applications over to the next mac?

I purchased the MacHeist bundle a few months ago, so I want to keep all the applications I purchased from that. Can I just uninstall and then reinstall on the next MacBook Pro (using the same licenses as before) or do I have to try and get all new licenses somehow?

Also, same thing with Fusion, can I just uninstall and then use it on the next computer? Also, if I don't plan on using fusion anymore, can I uninstall and then sell it?

Thanks in advance! Anything else I should know please tell me. Like for instance, what is the best way for me to wipe out my computer once I am done doing what I need to do for my applications?

Scott

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

If you purchased these software titles as downloads, this will vary on the publisher. Some software requires "deactivation/de-authorization" before you uninstall in order to keep using the same serial numbers.

Another avenue you can explore is using a program like Carbon Copy Cloner to migrate a mirror image of your machine over to the new one.

3. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

You won't need new licenses. For nearly all apps, you can just reinstall on them on your new machine and enter your license number.

To wipe your drive, boot from your CD or another drive and use Disk Utility. It will give you several options for a more secure delete that will take longer.

4. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

OK... good info so far. If I use time machine to back up my computer, can I just attach my drive to the new macbook pro and then have everything there or is it not that easy?

Or if I use that carbon copy application, all my apps will be saved and my licenses?

5. vniow macrumors G4

Migration Assistant located in /Applications/Utilities generally does a pretty good job. Either that or you can plug the old laptop in via FW target disc mode upon the first bootup of the new machine and it will run the assistant from there.

6. Bambeezer macrumors regular

I migrated my data and apps via time machine with the migration assistant when going from the macbook pro to the macbook air. I was amazed at how complete everything was. I didn't really have to do anything. Everything was transferred over perfectly. I was very impressed with Apple and time machine. I can't imagine an easier way to do it. I choose time machine migration when I first booked up the mba. All my apps worked without any problems.

7. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

So all I have to do is hook up my hard drive to the mac book pro, and choose migration assistant, and everything will transfer over to the MBP? Then I can delete everything from my MacBook? What about license for Microsoft office?