Buying a MacBook Pro in USA fromout Europe

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by infosjoerd, Mar 25, 2008.

1. infosjoerd macrumors newbie

Hi there!

I live in amsterdam, holland, and i want to buy a macbookpro in the states since my girlfriend is going to visit here sister over there.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to pre-order a macbookpro in one of the apple-stores of there?
    And if i can, could there be a problem with the powersupply. In europe, we use a different voltage of power.

thnks

infosjoerd

2. Cherimoya macrumors member

I don't know about preordering but there's no problem with the power supply - it's universal. You would obviously need a socket adaptor to use it in Amsterdam but these are cheap (5 Euros?)

3. ipo macrumors member

i don't get your point?

What is the problem to ask your friends to go and buy the computer form any retail shop they pick?
    Just look up on the apple online store for the retails nearby and tell them what EXACTLY you want them to buy and how much EXACTLY it should cost.
    It works , well you can't be too sure though ... There are display issues after all., but by pre ordering you won't help it , would you ?!
    I'd say , trust your girlfriend a bit more and good luck! :rolleyes:

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just buy it and a set of international adapters.

TEG

5. shikimo macrumors 6502

Ditto the comment on the power supply...for sure no problem. As far as preordering, it seems to me that you could either call ahead to the specific store where you are planning to have her buy it, or simply have her go in person at the beginning of your trip and pick it up after they put it together...if her trip is going to be long enough.

And don't forget to have her not bring the box, load some personal stuff onto it and not talk too loud about the great deal she got when going through customs:). I'm currently planning a trip to the US and trying to figure out how to buy the most stuff possible with dollars that I just bought for .63 Eurocents apiece. This is an historic shopping opportunity:D.

6. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Just make sure your girlfriend doesn't give into Apple salespersons.

When you say 2GB of RAM, they scream 4 and try to tell you if you don't upgrade it your computer will explode and leave you miserable and computer-less.

All I know is, when I was getting my MB, they treated me like I've never used a computer in my life. And they push you to get the extras (case, Apple Care, MS Office, .Mac, etc;)

They are just doing there job though, and it may have just been my particular salesperson who helped me drop lots of $$$

ts

EDIT: I'm not a noob anymore!!! macrumors member!