Buying a Macbook Pro in Vegas

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MartinH66, Aug 19, 2009.

1. MartinH66 macrumors newbie

I'm heading to Vegas in a few weeks and it looks like the exchange rate is going to make it too tempting to not get a 15" MBP while I'm there. ;)

I just wondered what buying options there were in Vegas and if anyone had any recommendations on where to buy based on experience? From internet searching there appears to be three Apple stores, two of which are right on the strip. I also found the Century 23 reseller.

I would also be after one with an anti-glare screen, has anyone been in any of the stores recently and noticed if they have them in stock?

It looks like the only way to contact an Apple retail store is by phone so I'd appreciate any guidance from locals or recent visitors. :)

2. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

How about buying online and getting it shipped to your hotel.

3. RQPS macrumors regular

RQPS

There is an Apple Store in the Caesars Forum shopping center right next to Caesars Palace.

4. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

The credit card security people might be very uncomfortable with that. Buying it in person, while subject to sales tax, seems a more likely success.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Don't forget that you will probably have to pay import duties when you get home or VAT. You need to make sure the difference in the exchange rate is not offset by taxes when you get home.

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

yeah if you want to declare it and pay taxes like a sucker.

7. mdgolom macrumors 6502

There's one at Caesar's Forums, Fashion Mall and one 2 miles south of Mandalay Bay. Since the pricing is the same, pick the one closest to where you're staying. At least if they're out of stock, you have two others. There is also a Fry's that sells Macs near the Apple store south of Mandalay Bay, since since they sell at retail price, I would just get it at Apple. I was in Vegas last November and visited all three and they're pretty much the same. Just have fun while you're there!

8. txnoob macrumors 6502

Really. Why couldn't you ship the box home, and bring the laptop on the plane as if you brought it with you in the first place....?

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

They can ask you for proof that you had it before you left the country. Without proof they can demand taxes.

10. MartinH66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Laptops are exempt from any custom/import charges for the UK and if it's for personal use there's no VAT either. So that shouldn't be a concern. [Source]

Thanks for the input so far. :cool:

I had a look at ordering through the Apple online store and even if I could do it (the billing address needs to be US as well) it looks like sales tax is still charged so I may as well pick one up from a store.

I guess there are no discounts available at Apple stores in general. I also like the fact that Century 23 have been quick at replying to me and have a quote from them with a $75 discount for asking nicely.

Thanks again, just over two weeks til holiday time. :D