Buying a Macbook Pro Overseas

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sean00, Jul 27, 2009.

1. sean00 macrumors newbie

Hi guys - im looking at buying a MacBook Pro 15" either the mid range or the high range. I am going to the US later this month and it is a hell of a lot cheap in the US it works out to be almost a AUD $1000 difference. Therefore i would like to buy it in the US will there be any complitations if i do so... i know ill have to change the power supply plug but anything else?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. sean00 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ok i thought you had 5 changes to make with that?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not sure what keyboard layout you're used to, but you'll be getting a US QWERTY keyboard. Can't remember if there are any differences between the US/Australian "standards."

5. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

I always get all my Apple products from the US. Anywhere else, they're priced criminally higher. There are no major differences, except keyboard layouts etc.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The plug would pretty much be the only thing different—something that can fixed with a simple plug converter.

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I'd watch out with import taxes. Make sure you put it in a sleeve or something, and don't have the original box on show or I think they'll figure you out. This is the reason I buy everything of mine direct from the UK apple store. Yeh its couple £100 more, however if you tried to import it you'd pay more than that on taxes.

8. stewartlittle macrumors regular

I have traveled back and forth from oz, a few times now. Other then the power supply, there is no difference. Yes you change the country code for movies, but you have 5 changes. You will have to claim the computer when you cross if you bought it in US. But it may work out cheaper still, after conversion, and so on.

9. tcrab macrumors member

You are probably "suppose" to pay import taxes on the macbook. However I'm not sure how they will know if you leave your box behind and keep it in carry on. Also I might be mistaken but I think the power connector is the same in the US as in OZ; Oz might have different voltage but the power supply that comes with it should be able to handle 220v