buying a Macbook Pro Retina 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sifinity, Jun 11, 2014.

  1. Sifinity, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

    Sifinity macrumors 6502


    Jun 11, 2014
    hey im going to be a college student in the fall and i know and have the money to buy to the maxed 15" retina . Only problem is i don't if i should buy it now or wait for the next reiteration of it . Along with that i don't want to miss there back to school deals which will start july/august . So when do you guys think the next update will come out and do you think it will be worth the wait?

    or should i buy a different mac?

    any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  2. coldwaves macrumors regular

    May 30, 2011
    Intel will only release the Broadwell chip at the end of this year. So I don't think Apple will update the Macbook Pro line much this year. They might do a minor update to the CPU in October, such as bump up the 2.0GHz model to 2.1GHz. But I don't think that will cause much of a performance enhancement. Overall, I don't think it is worth waiting. The next major updates to the GPU will probably be next year. If you need the laptop, you might take advantage of the back to school deal this summer.
  3. Xuan398 macrumors newbie

    May 21, 2014
    CA, United States
    I have the latest mbpr 15" with the better specs and trust me, it'll be powerful enough to last you a long time! :D It's amazing for everything and rather portable.
  4. solideliquid macrumors 6502


    Aug 8, 2008
    Just a question for those that have the late-2013 15" MBP, how long do you feel you'll be able to hold out upgrading to a newer model? In other words I have the mid-2012 MBP and feel guilty upgrading to the late 2013 model.

  5. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

    Oct 14, 2010
    Don't. Just accept technology continuously gets better and learn to enjoy what you have. Many, myself included, would give their left *** to have your computer. And it's not like the 2013s are not THAT much better than the 2012s. Just remind yourself, the base-2012 came with a discrete GPU which the base 2013 model does not come with. On the refurb list, it took me a while to decide between the 2012 and 2013 -- which were roughly the same price.
  6. Sifinity thread starter macrumors 6502


    Jun 11, 2014
    so theres no point on waiting? i mean i kinda feel if i wait for the update my macbook will be hold value longer just incase i feel like selling / updating to a newer version in the future
  7. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816


    Apr 12, 2007
    If you need now then buy now. You'll always be waiting if you're waiting for the next stuff. Haswell is a powerful architecture that will last you many years to come.
  8. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    There will be no update (at least other then maybe a spec bump) until Broadwell is released - I'd say there is no point in waiting at this stage

Share This Page