Buying a Macbook Pro soon. Have some questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jonesy85, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Jonesy85 macrumors member

Last year I bought an Alienware laptop, and though I do like it fairly well, the thing is just too big for me to carry around to my classes, and the battery life is horrible. I've been interested in a Mac for quite a while now. I have 4 English classes this semester, so I figure now is the best time for me to buy a Mac.

One of my first questions involves gaming. My current laptop has the Nvidia 7950 GTX. Is this better or worse than the 8600M GT with 512mb?

Also, Time Capsule really interests me. I love the idea of being able to send files to another hard drive that is wireless. As I said, I game a lot and I'd like having the option of keeping large games, like MMO's on a hard drive. After deleting a game to make room, if I ever want to put that game back on, it takes a lot of time to install and download the huge patches. Time capsule would allow me to move these games back and forth between it and my computer whenever I like, right? And of course I don't like to fill my hard drive up with too much music, or movie files. Is Time capsule worth it, or should I look into something else?

Is iWork a sensible purchase? I'll be typing many papers this semester and I'll also be creating many presentations. I've used Powerpoint a few times in the past. iWork is pretty much Apple's Microsoft Office, isn't it? I believe I also read how iWork makes making resumes easy, so that'd be cool too.

Lastly, I think I'm better off buying one of the current MBP's, rather than waiting for an update, mostly because of the student discount I get, the free printer, and the free ipod is a nice touch as well. I wouldn't get any of these discounts if I wait for the updates, will I? I mean, I'm saving around $600 there, which is awesome savings, if you ask me. But, if I can still get these kinds of discounts with a new model, I'll wait it out.

Oh, and one other thing. I've read a few times that the Apple care is like $350, but when I choose that option when purchasing my MBP, it's $239.00. I'm assuming this is also a student discount. Correct? If so, I'm actually saving over $700. I think I should buy now and not wait for an update.

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

iWork is an excellent suite. Especially Keynote is a great presentation software. Highly recommend. I'll be getting it with my MBP purchase in the next few weeks/months.

3. str1f3 macrumors 68000

it's up to you if you want to get a mbp now. it is a good bargain with the free ipod but it also must be weighed with the fact that a lot of the 8600s have had problems (check threads) and there is a redesign coming soon. the $239.00 discount to applecare is given to all buyers of the mbp at the time of purchase. a printer is always free(up to a $100). time capsule is a good product but transferring large files back and forth between it and the hard drive is really slow compared to wired. i believe also that the time capsule hard drive can be partitioned so you can always keep your games on there instead of risking the loss of games (90% sure; best to check with a genius to be 100%).

as for iwork you can get a free 30 day trial to try it out before purchase, but you will not be able to print anything. i think office 08 offers the same thing.
    the most important thing is to go with what you are most comfortable with, bet it iwork or office. :)

4. Jonesy85 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm. If applecare is always that much at the time of purchase, and there's always $100 off a printer, then maybe I will wait... I get $200 of the MBP right now too. Will I be able to get that as well when the newer versions come out?

Thanks for the advice and help so far.

5. str1f3 macrumors 68000

yes, with the student discount you will get $200 (1 laptop allowed per year)off the mbp whenever you buy it. the only thing you will not get is the free ipod (after sept.15).

6. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

Gaming wise the 8600M GT will play most modern games with medium settings. I play COD4, and I use to play WoW and it is viable. If you are in boot camp it'll play all your steam games, however anything new will struggle. However, if you are comfortable with that then the MBP would be a nice purchase.