Buying a Macbook Pro: Which should I get? 15-inch or 17-inch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RagnarokHGM, Aug 20, 2008.

1. RagnarokHGM macrumors newbie

Hello!

First off heres my story. I've been with PC all of my life, I've hardly touched a mac. Though, for my birthday I purchased a 24-inch iMac. I LOVED it, However, I felt guilty at myself for spending so much money on something I didn't need yet, as I have a fully working high-spec PC Desktop. Therefore I refunded the iMac in March. I loved it, but because I didn't need a new desktop, nor did I know how to use OS-X, I went back to my main desktop. THough I must say, I loved the macs performance and speed, and built-in features. Should my windows PC ever fail, (and I know it will), I plan on buying an iMac again.

Now a few months later, I'm looking to purchase a laptop. I've settled on the Macbook Pro. I've heard nothing but good raves and reviews on it, so I decided to make this my laptop of choice. I love its features and great specs.

Now I mainly use my computers to Watch Videos, surf the web, and Play video games, chat etc.

I don't run heavy-duty PC Games or anything, like The Sims 2. I pretty much stick to Online Roleplaying Games, and Virtual Worlds. I need the laptop to manage my business inside the virtual world of "Second Life", on the go.

I'll admit I don't travel ALOT - but when I do it's helpful to have a laptop with me, even when I'm at home and not moving around. But I heard the 17" Macbook Pro, while BIGGER, weighs alot more than the 15".

Basically I'm torn between 15" and 17", and I don't know which is better, and the pros and cons of both.

All I've heard about is the 15", not much on the 17" rather than it weighs alot more and is tough to lug around. Though I'm concerned that the 15" screen is too small to look at.

So please assist me with my shopping dilemma, and feel free to give me your thoughts, opinions, and experiences, even if you own a 15" or 17", Macbook Pro.

**Which Macbook Pro should I purchase? 15-inch or 17-inch? and Why?

Thanks so much for any insight!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Personally, I would go with the 15". It's a little cheaper, plus it's a lot more portable.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you search the forums you'll find dozens of threads on this subject, with opinions and recommendations. No need to start a new repetitive thread to find your answers.

4. RagnarokHGM thread starter macrumors newbie

GGI, I'm here to ask my own questions, there is no need to be a prude and throw me down. If you don't have a valid answer to my question, don't answer. Thank you.

Eric: Thanks for the suggestion. :)

How is the screen size to you? Do you find it too small to look at? Etc. Etc. Are there any cons to the 15"?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Please understand, my intent is not to scold or discourage anyone from posting questions. Many who are new to the forums aren't aware that searching the forums can many times bring an answer to their question faster, since common subjects have been discussed at length and common questions have already been answered. Also, some may not be aware that using a Google search of the forums will many times reveal answers that are missed by the standard MR search. My purpose is to help posters find existing answers to their current questions, and also show them tools to find answers to future questions more effectively.

And the link I posted contains many valid answers to your question. You'll get a lot more out of the forums if you refrain from criticizing those who are trying to help you get answers.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In my opinion, no, there aren't any cons to the 15". I have a 13" MacBook myself, and I find that even this screen is large enough.

In the future, I'll definitely be buying a 15" MBP for my primary computer (rather than buying an iMac and MacBook, as I did this time 'round).

Although I do recommend you take ggjstudios's advice. There have been many threads on this subject, all of which contain very good advice. No need to take their comment with contempt: I'm sure none was intended. :)

7. RagnarokHGM thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, Looks like I'll dive for the 15-Inch 2.5 ghz then. Thanks alot Eric. I appreciate the help.

I cant wait for my main computer to crash so that I have a reason to the get the iMac again. Heh.

However I have one more question out of Curiosity. Is there a difference between the Sound/Speakers on the 17' and 15'? I've noticed the 17' has bigger speakers.

and I SEARCHED the forums and could not find that question. ;)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks for that, EricNau. You're correct that no contempt was intended. Only assistance. But no problem. I'll just add this one to my ignore list, so I don't accidentally offer assistance to them in the future, since they prefer to "bite the hand that feeds them." After all, the OP has been posting in the forums for almost a whole hour, so I'm sure they have all the answers by now!

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Apple's site doesn't show a differentiation between the two models, although I suspect there might be a slight difference (in favor of the 17", naturally).

I still wouldn't consider it reason to buy the 17". The difference (if any) wouldn't be significant, and for any task where crisp, clear audio mattered, you'll have to use headphones or external speakers with either model.

10. maestrocasa macrumors regular

I have a 15," my wife a 13" MB, and my friend has a 17." Here's my 2 bits:

The 17 is huge and heavy and I would hate to lug it around. haven't noticed much sound difference in spkrs b/w it and the 15. If you're just dying for huge screen real-estate, or if you keep 2 docs side by side a lot, go for it, but it's overkill for me.

the 13" MB is ok, but I definitely notice the smaller screen. Can't stand glossy and I've noticed that the speakers are considerably quieter than the 15" or 17" That said, it's light and small...

So, I'm a big fan of the 15" I love my machine. big bright screen, decent sound, not too bulky or heavy.

good luck! (but you might want to wait a few weeks in case something new comes out in September :D:D )

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Also very apt advice.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm afraid that I can't help on the question of speaker comparison, but regarding your first query, I'd strongly recommend the MBP 15 inch as an excellent (and yet still portable) machine; it's powerful, has great performance, is aesthetically pleasing, and comes with a superb screen. The 17 inch has a phenomenal screen, but is pretty heavy if you plan to tote it about the place. I'm a recent switcher, and I am very happy with my MBP.

Re advice on the forum, it is readily given but many topics have indeed already been dealt with on other (similar) threads.

Cheers and good luck.

13. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

if you don't mind the weight and want the ultimate do all, get the 17" with the HD screen. Will definitely make your gaming, video watching a better experience.

14. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You don't need a MacBook Pro, the regular MacBook will run games like The Sims 2 and WoW just fine. Save yourself a lot of money and get one of those.

15. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

Go with the 15, unless you want to antagonize someone who has a 15 by buying a 17.

16. RagnarokHGM thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh my Lord. Thanks for the advice on waiting until September! Thats one thing I hate, buying something only to have a better version to come out swiftly after that.

neiltc13 - Thanks for the suggestion but I was pointing out that I'm NOT going to be using those games. I'm a programmer for Second Life and that's my main gaming platform at the moment since no new games have shown up on the Wal*Mart or Gamestop shelves that seem decent to me.

While everyone seems to be in favor of the 15" for portability, I must say I think I'm gonna go for it. Though I don't move my laptop around TOO much, but when I do, I do.

I was just concerned that the screen would be too small.

Thanks for all of your helpful answers. :) I think for now I'll settle with the 15-inch unless I get to the store and see the two next to each other and decide I MUST have the 17 incher. But because I have a main home desktop, I don't need a mobile main computer, just something extra to peform tasks that I can't do while I'm not at the house.

^_^

Oh ggjstudios: Don't have your feelings hurt for me snapping at you. I just felt annoyed that you think I'm inferior just because I'm new to the forums. You must understand I've been researching this for days. Calm down, relax, take a breath. The past is the past. I have found what I was seeking. Thank you for your efforts to assist me, but I took offense to the way you said it. But It's all over and done with. Let's move on. ^_^

17. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

The 15 inch has good real estate for the screen. Most of my friends that have the 17inch use it as a desktop with limited times they use it as a portable.

18. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

There will always be people on this board that are best ignored. Heck, I could be one of those I am speaking of.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

15".

After half a year, I've noticed how this screen is way too big.