Buying a Macbook Pro - Which to get for my needs ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LoveCrusader, Sep 14, 2008.

1. LoveCrusader macrumors member

Here's my situation. I am in Broadcast and Video Production at my local college. I'm on my way to becoming a working professional and I need a laptop. It would be for professional needs, school, and personal needs. I want to buy a Macbook Pro, and I'm just trying to decide what is best for my future and my situation.

I have $1000 right now. I would be able to buy a used Macbook Pro 1st gen for the $ I have now. Would this be enough computer to run the newest versions of Final Cut Pro and Logic ? How long could I stay up to date with new software on a 1st gen Macbook Pro ?

I would love to get a new MBP, but I feel like the longer I wait, the more $ I'm going to spend. lol I'm a full-time student, so it's not like I'm ballin. Even if I had enough $ to get a new MBP I wouldn't know to buy a current one or wait until the new ones come out in October.

I'm really stuck, so I guess my first question is would the 1st gen Macbook Pro run the latest versions of FCP and Logic ? Any advice on what to do would be helpful. I know I can get like a $200 student discount. Hmmm, I'm just not sure what to do.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The MacBook Pro Rev. 1 is more than fine with running Final Cut and Logic and the associated programmes.

Just get something with warranty, if possible, because it's more than two years those machines were released.

Final Cut and Logic can also be run on a MacBook, because they don't need a graphic card that much like a compositing software (Motion, Combustion,...).

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd suggest trying to get a refurb (of the current models), or wait until the updates and then try for a refurb. I realise that finance is an issue, but with refurbs, you have the benefit of a pretty generous discount, the knowledge that Apple has rigorously tested that computer, that it comes with a warranty, and that you can upgrade within a year to Applecare should you wish to do so. Therefore, if you can at all, I'd strongly suggest that you go for a refurb, rather than a first generation model (which wouldn't have the warranty, as spinnerlys points out.)
    Cheers and good luck

4. LoveCrusader thread starter macrumors member

Where do I shop for a refurb model ? After doing some research I think a regular Macbook is out of the question. They don't even have a graphics card in it and can't run all the programs from Final Cut Studio, etc.

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

You can technically run FCS2 on a Macbook, but it won't be pretty. Studio applications like Motion and Color rely heavily on the GPU. I think the most critical problems with running FCS2 on a Macbook are the lower screen resolution and the lack of FW800 and ExpressCard expansion (for connecting fast external hard drives) more than anything else.

Have you considered financing through Juniper? $1,000 isn't a realistic budget unless you can live with a machine from eBay that's 2+ years old and out of warranty (unless you're lucky and find one that has AppleCare coverage remaining on it). Apple's refurb store has MBPs starting at $1,699 and come with full warranties. Note that this is only $100 cheaper than a new base 2.4GHz MBP at educational pricing.