Buying a MacBook Pro with UK keyboard in the USA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Colin8, May 12, 2014.

1. Colin8 macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I'm off to the US in a month (from the UK) and am planning on picking up a top-spec retina. Even after all the import charges, it's still around £200 cheaper. I'd really like a UK keyboard (I use the '£' symbol a lot and don't like the shape of US shift keys :p) and on the US store you can choose to have a 'British' keyboard as a custom option.

I wanted to order the computer from the UK - using the USA website - and pickup in a week when I am in NY and the MacBook has arrived to the store. However, I can't order Personal Pickup because I don't have a US phone or address.

So, is there any possible way of getting a MacBook with a UK keyboard in the US? I am only there for a week so I can't afford to wait around for the store to take in orders, I need the UK keyboard there when I pick the machine up. Or, even better, is there a way I can order a custom Personal Pickup with the UK keyboard without having to enter US phone number/address, but UK ones?

Thanks a lot!

2. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Which NYC (I assume you'll be in NYC when in NY) Apple store do you plan on going to? Call the store (using Skype if you can't afford international calling) and ask them what to do... I'm curious as well, as I've never seen a request like this. I'm live in the US, and I have no intention of doing this, but it's still interesting.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't believe this is possible, I think you'll need a US credit card to order off the US site.

To be sure though call the apple store and find out but I'm leaning towards its not feasible.

4. Colin8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will most likely be going to Fifth Avenue, as it's near my hotel. Do you know where I could get contact details?

Thanks.

5. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

*drops*

http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/

EDIT: I love that store. I was there for its first full night. May 19th, 2006 I believe it was... Awesome night... I played with Macs all night. I was in heaven. And oh yeah.. of course it's a 24h store... the only one of its kind amongst ANY of the Apple stores ever built. xD