buying a macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by illinoisbuck, Dec 2, 2010.

1. illinoisbuck macrumors newbie

hello all,
    first post here but have been lurking for awhile. while i wouldnt call myself computer savvy, i am looking to get a macbook pro for my business. i run a garage door business and was wanting a laptop to take with me to keep better track of all clients, accounts receivable, etc. looking at the 13, but was wondering what you guys recommend? i will also be using it to jump on the internet from time to time. Thoughts on specs, software, etc? thanks in advance for any responses
    Buck

2. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I have a baseline 13" MBP and I think it would be perfect for what you are talking about. It can access the internet, be available for the documents you may have to type, and is light enough to carry around. Its startup and shutdown speeds will be better than most laptops. I say go for it!

3. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Definitely check out the refurbished too if you're worried about cost. It doesn't sound like you're doing anything too intensive, so snagging a good deal in the refurb section would probably work out the best for you. Any of the 13" will work.

4. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Have you considered the lighter MacBook Air? The product line was recently updated.

5. illinoisbuck thread starter macrumors newbie

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I would go with a 15in MBP only if you are showing your clients photos/videos on your screen. If not then 13in is fine. Any of the current MBP will work with what you want or even the previous models. The processors didn't get a huge bump between then. Both lines have atleast 4GB of RAM.

Check this software out called Billings

http://www.marketcircle.com/billings/

7. miata macrumors 6502

It is really hard to beat the MBP 13 refurb for only $1019 at the Apple Store.

8. RKpro macrumors 6502

What sort of software will you be using? If it's basic productivity software, then any mac will do.

If it's "keeping track", and web browsing, I think you may even get away with using an ipad, there's got to be apps for that.