Buying a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by desi22601, Feb 18, 2008.

1. desi22601 macrumors member

After being frustrated with windows vista i decided to go into the mac world because i have had good experience with apple in the past and i can't wait to use it again. My only question is.. should i wait a few more weeks or just order one today? I dont want to order one and then next week they upgrade something on it .. that would just suck :mad: Thanks for reading.

2. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Wait until at least tomorrow. The Apple Store updates on most Tuesdays and the MacBook Pro is overdue for an upgrade. Check out the MacBook Pro board here in the forums. ^_-

3. Yves Creebs macrumors newbie

wait. It'll be worth it just for your sanity alone.
    You don't want to be the guy on these forums whining b/c they updated days after your purchase.

4. giganten macrumors 6502a

If you don't need It now. Wait for at least 2 weeks and see.

5. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I would at least wait until the 26th to see if one is released. If they're not released I would go ahead and buy the current model.

6. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

... and then if they're not updated, wait another two weeks after that :) :D :rolleyes:

seriously, people are worried about the impending update, so you have to make it work for you. find someone (ebay/craigslist/mr marketplace/etc) with the same worry and get a good deal on a current gen mbp.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Monday is a national holiday in the USA. This means Tuesday is Wednesday :)

8. ankushpatel macrumors regular

any mac will still do what u need it to do

any current mac on the apple store is not horrible it will do the same thing, it will suit ur needs. Remember leopard is the software

9. Macnator macrumors 6502

I bought the current gen MBP, and I don't regret it one bit.

10. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Sorry to hear that you're frustrated with Vista. I'm glad you're choosing to go with the MBP. I currently own a 17" version, and love it. Mainly because I have never had an issue in the year and a half since purchasing it, and because it replaced a bulky PC I built (and haven't turned on since I got my MBP).

I also have a Vista laptop, and although I only use it for watching streaming vids on Netflix and playing games, I haven't had any glitches so far. I don't use it for anything serious, which is likely why I haven't run into any issues. However, I use my MBP for everything serious, as well as creative exploration, and fun. I expect a lot out of it, and it's never let me down. I just feel that Apple computers are built for people like me, who have low frustration tolerance, and just want their expensive items to function properly, look nice, and have enough power to do whatever I want it to do.

The MBP has met my needs and then some. I don't have the latest, greatest model, and I don't resent the fact that since I made my purchase, there have been bumps in speed and capacity. I have maxed out my ram, and that wasn't really necessary, but it's just so cheap right now.

My point is, the likelihood that the new MBP's will grossly exceed what is available now is pretty slim. Think about the possibilities. These are the guesses I have as far as possible improvements. Note they are guesses, not reality. I think it's possible they may add a blu-ray drive. I think they will have the new penryn processors, and therefore a slight boost in speed without creating heat issues. They may add the multitouch trackpad. They may make the keyboard black and similar to the one in the MBA. Other than that, I can't really fathom any breakthroughs coming in the new model.

While all of my guesses may seem like a wonderful thing to wait for, the fact of the matter is this. The current MBP is a powerful, efficient, good looking machine. I have no doubts that you will be satisfied with it, and am also sure it will effectively perform any task you intend to throw at it. I'm assuming you are not planning on rendering a 3d movie with tons of effects in HD. If you are, then you should be looking at a MP, not a MBP. Fair assumption? Short of that, there is very little a MBP can't do, today.

I use my older model (C2D, 2.33ghz) MBP to create in Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Poser, Vue, Shake, Final Cut Pro, Dreamweaver, and Painter X. It functions perfectly, and I have no complaints. You are considering whether to get an even more powerful MBP (today's model), and therefore I'm sure you'll be pleased. Waiting for what may be even slightly more powerful is an option, but my point is, either way, you'll have a very nice machine. I honestly think you are facing a win/win situation here, and can't go wrong.

Having said that, good luck on your decision. I'm confident that either way, you'll be pleased.

11. IndiaPaleAle macrumors newbie

How many :apple: owners out there think the apple care plan is worth it when I purchase my new MBP?

12. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I purchased Apple Care because I am not at all interested in gambling on any purchase over $1,000. I'm past my default warranty now, and still have had no problems, but knowing that if anything goes wrong, it will be taken care of, is nice.

13. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

if i were to keep the computer for more than a year, i would buy applecare. as it is, i don't usually do that, so i don't buy it.

if i ever did buy it, i would wait until almost the year is up before i bought it (you can activate applecare right up until the end of the first year).