Buying a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pad07, Feb 21, 2009.

  1. pad07 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2007
    #1
    Hi everyone

    My current iMac is so slow I have had enough and want to buy a MBP. I'm a pretty intense computer user now which is why my old all-white iMac is struggling.

    The question is this: should I buy now, a 2.53GHz 15 inch MBP and just buy Snow Leopard when it's released, or wait till June when Snow Leopard arrives? Also, are MBP updates expected in the near future? Basically is it best to buy now or wait (I can struggle on a few more months, painfully, but am leaning towards buying now, unless MBP updates are imminent).

    Thanks
     
  2. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    Location:
    Shanghai, China
    #2
    i'd say just buy, if you want it now and have the money then just do it.

    so many people ask these kind of questions, and i say just buy or you'll be waiting longer than you thought.
     
  3. seb-opp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2008
    Location:
    London/Norwich
    #3
    The notebooks probably wont be updated till summer at the earliest, I think that because mobile core i7 is coming towards the end of this year, as far as I know, which is next big leap. If there were any updates before then, it would only be small upgrades or little speed boosts, so nothing worth waiting for really.

    You sound like you need an upgrade now, might as well go for it, because if you waited until there was a small upgrade, then you would want to wait for the next, most likely bigger upgrade.

    Just buy SL when its released, it should give your new MBP (assuming you get one) a performance boost anyway
     
  4. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2009
    #4
    Apple wont implement mobile core i7 until late summer 2010, if you want to buy now, now is the best time, unless you want Snow Leopard in which case i would wait until August, but you can always install it yourself if you dont want to wait.
     
  5. relativist macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2009
    #5
    Interesting prediction, can you elaborate as to why they would wait so long? Personally I'm in about the same position, so I'm going to be getting a refurb MBP15 to tide me over till the next mobile intel update.
     
  6. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

    Patriks7

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    #6
    Because Apple is always behind the rest of the curve. It would be very surprising if they'd add mobile i7 before that.
    To answer the OP, buy now, as you might be waiting too long. There isn't any specific date for Snow Leopard yet, and it's always very easy to just upgrade.
     
  7. pad07 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2007
    #7
    Okay I will.

    My plan is to buy the 2.53GHz 15" MBP (for portability), the 24" LED Cinema Display and a wireless keyboard and mouse.

    It's quite a heavy investment but I'm right in thinking that should set me up for about 5 years, right?
     
  8. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

    Patriks7

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    #8
    Yes, that will definitely last you 5 years or even more later for some basic stuff.
    I think you will be very happy with your decision! I was also going to get the 24" LED Display, but my room is fairly small, so I had to get a monitor with HDMI to have a place to use my PS3 :p
     
  9. EB66 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2008
    #9
    I would definitely buy now because all that time waiting is going to be torture....if price is not much of an option then definitely get the Apple display they are gorgeous
     

Share This Page