Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mindgames

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Just throw a 64GB-128GB solid state drive and 4 gigs in the baby and u are good to go. i just got my new 13" macbook with the 2.26GHz and got 4GB DDR3 on newegg and a 80GB intel SSD drive and my macbook is faster than my RAID0 config with 2 300 Velociraptors 10,000RPM and 8GB DDR2, and Quad Q6600 at 3.0ghz in my 780i machine. dont buy a used laptop, i work at milwaukeepc and i see nothing but bad things. Buy a mac.

Mindgames

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Whats wrong with Vista at the moment?

There was alot wrong with vista. Its not so bad anymore. Alot of people complain about it because they try installing vista on a pc with 1GB of ram and onboard video. people come into my work all day asking "why does vista suck so much?" I wish i could just say "u have no clue what ur talking about" but i just tell em its not a good operating system to use with a low end computer...which are what most consumers are buying now-a-days. People think u can buy a $300 pc from dell or hp and get a good deal. good luck. u pay for what u get. and btw win7 RTM final is currently available online. and windows XP is prob the best windows flavor so far...win2k is close. But im running win7 RTM on my MBP and its very nice. Reminds me of XP with a Aero look.

imotox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Just my 2 cents, but I understood fully what Bill Gates had said.

Back on topic, has anyone figured out if there is a fix for the EFI 1.7 update? Also, what would be the best HDD for me to upgrade to (wanting 500gb+).

I don't like vista mainly because my drivers are easier to find for XP than they are for vista (this laptop was bought with vista installed too). And my computer is not low-end either (2Gb of RAM, 1.9Ghz processor, forget the other stuff) and for me it still seems to run slow. Windows 7 on the other hand is actually quite fast and I loved it from day 1 (though my mom made me go back to XP (she likes to control what OS I use...).

Also, dumb HP wouldn't give me my product key because my computer was "out of warranty" when they sold me a computer with a defective sticker on the bottom...

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Just my 2 cents, but I understood fully what Bill Gates had said.

Back on topic, has anyone figured out if there is a fix for the EFI 1.7 update? Also, what would be the best HDD for me to upgrade to (wanting 500gb+).

I don't like vista mainly because my drivers are easier to find for XP than they are for vista (this laptop was bought with vista installed too). And my computer is not low-end either (2Gb of RAM, 1.9Ghz processor, forget the other stuff) and for me it still seems to run slow. Windows 7 on the other hand is actually quite fast and I loved it from day 1 (though my mom made me go back to XP (she likes to control what OS I use...).

Also, dumb HP wouldn't give me my product key because my computer was "out of warranty" when they sold me a computer with a defective sticker on the bottom...

I can't say for sure about 1.7 but I can say I have a 2.26 13" MBP made two weeks ago running a 7200 Scorpio Black without issue. There was no option to update to 1.7. Most new 13" MBP's will likely have their firmware up to date unless they've been sitting for a while which I doubt. As another poster said, a SSD and 4GB RAM will be quite impressive speed wise. I think the best deal in the MBP line.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
As Bill stated earlier, if you want it now, just go get one if you have the money, don't wait out and if apple releases an update just to find out they've upgraded the ram to 1333Mhz and that's it, you'll think "Why the hell did I wait" on the other hand it could go the other way, but nobody knows.

So as Bill said earlier, just go ahead and buy the 2.26Ghz version now, go grab 4GB RAM from OWC, Newegg, Crucial or somewhere, then you'll be good to go.

As for the HDD issues, it's worth taking a chance. If it doesn't work with the HDD, and you don't want it without it, just swap it back out, and return it to apple for a refund, then wait until you can conclude that the bug is fixed. But it may just be a case of hit and miss as some people I know haven't had this problem swapping out their drives.

Also, you said your machine isn't 'low-end' with a 1.9Ghz and 2GB RAM. I'm sorry to say, but nowadays that really can be classed as low-end. Especially with all the i7's and the soon i5's. For all you know, the RAM in it is only 533Mhz, which sucks. :p

Regardless of that, just go buy your mac now if you have the money. HOWEVER : If you're not currently enrolled in the college, you WON'T qualify for the iPod rebate or the EDU discounts as people have not told you this. Are you already in the college and just taking a different course in 2010 fall?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.