Buying A Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by W00DI, Aug 10, 2009.

1. W00DI macrumors member

So I've finally decided to get the 13" macbook pro because I dont really need a larger screen. I'm still confused whether to get the 2.26 GHz or the 2.5 GHz MBP. If I do buy the 2.26 GHz MBP I will upgrade the RAM to 4gb and will also upgrade the hard drive to 320gb or 500gb depending on how much money i have. So what are your opinions?

Oh If i do upgrade the hard drive should i upgrade to 7200 rpm because i heard rumors that its louder and consumes more energy.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The base model is the best bang for the buck and you can upgrade the RAM and hard drive yourself. You can upgrade the RAM to 8GB, so 4GB will be fine and as for the hard drive, what are you going to be using the computer for? You may not need it to be 7200RPM and be able to happily use a 5400RPM HDD.

Personally I just ordered the WD 500GB 5400RPM Scorpio Blue for my MacBook Pro, so you might want to consider that hard drive as it is only $85.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get the base model and then upgrade the memory and HD yourself. Its cheaper to go that route and you'll not notice a huge speed difference between the 2.26 and the 2.53Ghz models

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I disagree with the above two posters. Go for the higher GHz processor if you can afford it. You can't upgrade this down the road ;)

Upgrade the HDD yourself though.

5. W00DI thread starter macrumors member

I think im just using it for school and some low key gaming... I'm going to run bootcamp and use 25%-50% of the HD for Windows 7.
    Can you give me a link to that harddrive cause thats a great price!

6. W00DI thread starter macrumors member

IM kind of on a budget because my mom is giving me $600 and I dont wont to put in anymore than 600 because i'm also trying to save for a car when im 16. So i'm kind o short on cash.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The 2.26 will do you a very good service, especially if you're on a budget, you can always upgrade later or just leave it as it is stock, it's really a great machine without any upgrades, plus the student discount (if you qualify) and you can sell the free iPod Touch for even more savings.

Don't take this the wrong my man, but this is probably the umpteenth thread on this. "Should I get the 2.26 or 2.53". Please do a search before creating yet another thread of the same nature. ;)

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The OP isn't even 16 yet, and high schools rarely have any kind of student discount. For this reason, only refurbs can cut costs.

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I ordered this one, but the price just went up $10 since I ordered it on Saturday :eek:. And with your uses you won't notice a difference between the two CPUs so go for the lower one and save the money.

10. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Base model macbook pro refurb. Then get a 7200 rpm drive and some ram. You are set.

11. SimonMW macrumors 6502

I got the base 13" and got 4GB RAM and a larger HDD. So far it is working great! I've got FCP running on it and editing 1080p XDCAM EX footage no problem at all.