Buying a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bohemianboy, Sep 28, 2009.

1. bohemianboy macrumors newbie

Dear Mac Enthusiasts

For many years I've fancied an Apple laptop. Today I've finally set my mind, after work I'm going to buy myself a nice MacBook Pro. My mind is settled on the low-end 13', although I fear it might be too small of a screen, considering it would be my main (and only) computer. What do you have to say about that?

I understand that the HD and the ram memory are user replaceable, so I should be able to upgrade it straight away. Is that correct?

Unfortunately, there isn't such thing as an Apple store here, and all the computer "experts" at the stores really don't know that much. I assume Snow Leopard would come already installed, but how can I check it? Is there any kind of sticker (doesn't sounds like Apple but) on the box that might reveal it?

Any tips for a Mac newbie XD??

Finally, what are some cool applications you suggest I might buy or download, if freeware/open source, since I have absolutely no idea of what I can put in a Mac?

OK, last question now: can I use the Windows 7 RC on the bootcamp?

Thanks for your time!

Cheers:apple:

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

You can always get an external monitor-13" is best for portability.

You can either upgrade the HD and RAM yourself or Build-to-order it.

Yes, either SL comes preinstalled or the upgrade disk comes with it. There is not really a way you can check. It shouldn't make much of a difference...

I always point people who are looking for cool downloads here. That's where I was pointed when I first got a Mac:) and it's proved helpful. Some things to try are iStatMenus (in the task bar) and iStat Pro (on the dashboard). They both monitor system usage. If you want a free photo editor, try GIMP.

Yes, you can use Windows7RC in Bootcamp.

Enjoy your Mac!:D:apple:;):cool::):):):)

3. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

If you can swing the cash upgrade the HD and mem now, the little screws inthe UMP are sorta of a pain if you mix them up and hard to get loose the first time

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You will make a good typical mac user. Most of them generally buy the machine first then try and figure out what they need it for. :D

Me? I wanted to run Final Cut and since that's only an option on OSX well... here I am.

5. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

No need to be an ass. Totally irrelevant post..

Anyway, you don't really need any extra apps, the computer comes with a lot of useful ones already. I myself haven't installed any but CS3, Office and Toast.

Tip: get used to the Mac keys/commands/trackpad, it'll make your life a whole lot easier and enjoyable once you master them.

6. jt2ga65 macrumors regular

I got a 13 MBP a few months ago, and love to travel with it, but I still use my 17 MBP from most day-to-day functions. I think the 15 MBP would have been a good compromise if I didn't already have the 17 before I bought the 13, and would have only been $100 or so more.

-jt2

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

And since you responded (with quotes and all), what does that make yours?

8. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

Dude, stop derailing the thread. I gave him some tips as he requested.