Buying a macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by firewontquell, Jul 2, 2010.

1. firewontquell macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I am in need of a replacement for my 4 year old macbook pro. While still usable (barely), it is definitely at the end of its life. I was looking to replace it this summer, but in doing research, I found this thread:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/31...-8ghz-core-i7-processors-due-later-this-year/

which claims that a new processor for macbook pros will be released later this year. How advantageous would it be for me to wait for the new release? Will it make that much of a difference? Any other advice?

Some background:
    As a student, I use my laptop many, many hours a day, but usually for very simple things-- web browsing, watching videos, microsoft word and powerpoint, some photoshop. I plan for the laptop to be an investment that will last me about 4 years or more.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Don't bother waiting for that, for basic tasks you won't notice any difference at all. All that is is a slightly faster i7, which you in no way need for basic tasks like you listed. I would recommend the 13" if you want extra portability and battery life, the base 15" otherwise. For light usage, specs really don't matter, any of the current machines would be plenty for your needs, no upgrades needed, unless you feel inclined to get the high resolution option.

There are many, many threads on this topic, so if you search the forums, you will find any other answers you would be looking for.

3. djlutzker macrumors member

I bought my new 13" MBP las wednesday. I love it! This is my first mac with 4 GB of ram. Past macs where 2 GB. You'll be more than satisfied with it. 13" its the smallest mac to carry, it fits everywere. And core 2 duo will cover those needs, i wanted all the new core i, but, there are only little diferences.

4. opera57 macrumors 6502

If you need one now, just go for one now. The current release has only been out for a few months, so probably will be about another 6 months at least before another update? The current models are pretty nippy so I doubt you would be disappointed! [​IMG]

5. firewontquell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. A few more questions:

1. As I said, I've had my MBP for four years, and while it still works it is very sluggish and crashes frequently. Should I try to completely restore the machine before buying a new one? (reinstall the operating system, etc)? Or do you think four years is just about the end of a laptops lifespan and it's not worth the effort?

2. My current laptop is a 15" (they didn't have 13" MBPs when I bought it). I do enjoy the large screen and I also plan on using this next laptop for at least 4 years. Is the better processor on the 15" machine versus the 13" worth it? Keep in mind I am a heavy laptop user who plans to keep the machine as my primary computer for many years.

Thanks again!

6. iambasil macrumors regular

1. If you're wondering whether a fresh install will mean your old MBP can still do the job instead of having to buy a new one. Hell yeah try it before spending thousands! You can also try things such as cleanmymac if hard drive space is causing issues.

Another thing to consider is that sometimes newer programs are designed to run on newer machines with higher standard specs - ram a good example. Simply upgrading your ram may make many of these newer programs that you've installed run better (or you can just use older versions if you don't need the latest). My guess is that Office is something that lags on your system more than you'd like.

2. I'm sure that spec-wise, both the 13 and 15 will be able to handle your needs. However, if you are used to the 15" screen, and given that video watching, photoshop, etc are better on larger screens with more screen real estate, you might find yourself frustrated when dropping to a smaller screen size. Your call if the slightly improved portability and price saving is worth it.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...max out your ram and clean up your HDD with a fresh install and see if you speed up your machine... much cheaper than rushing out to buy the latest thing...

8. Vylen macrumors 65816

Definitely no harm in doing a clean install.

You'll just end up losing some time but if it turns out your machine can have a second chance at life, then it'll save you thousands.