Buying a macbook second hand - what to check?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Yuni, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Yuni macrumors newbie

I'm going to buy a second hand MacBook (sold because the owner allegedly prefers Windows) and I'm going to meet the guy selling it tomorrow.
    After a look through web, I still didn't find a good advice on what to check when I get the chance to see it (except the obvious - system preferences and working pixles...). It is still under guaranty.
    Can you help me out a little?

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Ask if it comes with the original box and software CDs to make sure it's not stolen and what not. Check the casing as the top front corner of the palmrest tend to crack. Also most important, just be careful meeting them, hope you do it at a public place and not some dark alley way :). Take a friend if you don't feel safe.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I would..

I would check to make sure all the keys are working, check the battery life, and like the above poster said, make sure he includes the original grey install disks in case you want to reinstall to get rid of everything or if something crashes. :D

4. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

5. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Agreed. Unless you are getting a very good deal just purchase a refurb. At least with a refurb have 1 year warranty. With a third party purchase you walk away with no warranty unless there is some remaining Apple Care coverage.

If you are getting a really good deal check out (along with everything else already mentioned) the screen carefully for any problems with clarity, color or bad pixels. If possible test the ports (USB, FW, Audio, NIC), WiFi, Bluetooth, speakers, and iSight camera.

6. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

Make sure you've got plenty of warranty left and that you're getting a really really good deal.
    The MacBooks have numerous issues.
    Otherwise you're probably better off with a used IBM/Lenovo.:eek:

7. -kumar- macrumors member

...check that it works? :D
    nah, well obviously check it works, check the condition and whatever was guaranteed in the advertisement. check there are no scratches/marks he/she did not tell you about. and thats pretty much it. PLUS GET THE RECIPT AND THE WARRANTY INFORMATION!!

8. kalex macrumors 65816

Check for cracks around the case.
    Dead pixels
    Test CD-ROM, play a movie, record something
    Test USB/Firewire ports
    Double check about this mac to make sure it matches what the person told you it has.
    Check battery health using coconut battery
    Check power adapter to make sure its not cracked
    Check to see if it has warranty left.
    Check - About this mac, more info, Diagnostics - this will show you Hardware test and Power on self test, last time it was rebooted

9. Yuni thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I got it :)
    Yeah, I bought it like I did becouse it was quite under price and it had still 10 months of guarranty left. There are some things you can't really use the guarranty, but I wasn't sure which.
    Well, I checked everything above (except some ports) and it is just like new.

Now I am a proud owner of a black MacBook :D

BTW, which are the numerous issues? I have a friend using it and didn't have any problems so far (being a general user).

10. hbuzzell macrumors newbie

I will trade you a crappynused Lenovo for a used MacBook, oh I can't bc the Lenovo does not want to work anymore. This is my 5th Lenovo lemon, unfortunately I have no choice about it bc it was provided by work!

11. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Did you sign up to reply to a thread that is 3 1/2 years old ?

And then reply to a thread by a MacRumors member who is banned ????