Buying a macbook soon and i have some questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by echosmyron, May 30, 2008.

1. echosmyron macrumors member

I currently own an imac and I will be transferring all of my music, pictures, documents, apps, etc. to this macbook. I plan on using the ipod to transfer the music and a friend's ext. HD for everything else. i have some questions

1. Will all of the non-Apple applications i downloaded from the internet work on Leopard? i currently have 10.4.11 installed on my imac.

2. is using an external HD and ipod the best method to do this? for the ipod stuff i heard Senuti is a good app. also, will i have to change settings in itunes?

3. i know i can plug my macbook into a monitor just because it is nicer to have a bigger screen. if i'm buying a monitor, will it have to be the same screen resolution as the macbook is? like 1440x900 for example. also, would you have to open the macbook to turn it on when plugged into the monitor, then close it? i don't understand how that works.

2. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Not necessarily. Some apps that were written for Tiger do not have the necessary coding to run on Leopard. That's not to say, though, that you can't download an update of that 3rd party software and having it running again in 10.5

Just get a firewire cable and boot your iMac in target disk mode by holding the 'T' key on startup after the chime. Then the iMac's HD will be mounted on the new MacBook and you can drag and drop, or clone the whole HD to the new MB if you want to

The monitor doesn't have to (and probably shouldn't if you're getting a current monitor) have the same resolution as the MB. Also, if you plug the monitor in and then open the MB then the screen will either mirror or span. If you have it set to span, i know, then close the MB, the system will go to sleep. You should just be able to plug the monitor up with the MB on but lid closed then wake the computer via a USB/Bluetooth mouse/keyboard.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Your new Mac can import your previous files/settings from your old system, I think that is the best way to migrate to a new system. That is what I have done in the past.

MB does monitor spanning AFAIK, so you can plug in an external monitor and be able to get a resolution better than the notebook.

4. echosmyron thread starter macrumors member

oh i forgot one question, is the HD size of the macbook smaller than it says it is? since my imac is supposed to hold 160GB but its actually 148.61GB.

5. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

6. drrich2 macrumors member

Advertised hard drive capacity is pre-formatted.

Hard drive capacity you see when you use 'Get Info.' on the other hand, is formatted capacity. You really notice a big chunk gone in the large hard disks we're using these days.

This was also true of floppy disks in use many years ago; the high-density 3.5" disks had an unformatted capacity of 2 megabytes, but a formatted capacity of 1.44 megabytes - I variously saw them advertised either way.

Richard.

7. echosmyron thread starter macrumors member

yes but does anyone know the formatted capacity of a current 160GB macbook?

8. andejp12 macrumors member

It will be the same as your 160GB iMac drive.

9. Joined:
    Apr 6, 2008
    dude I'd wait until WWDC is over, with all the news for a new macbook, I don't think you want to regret buying just before a new product is released. IDK what do the senior members think?

10. echosmyron thread starter macrumors member

ehh. all the peeps are saying that nothing macbook-related will be announced at WWDC