Buying a MacBook soon for College, some questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by illuminatus!, May 4, 2008.

  1. illuminatus! macrumors newbie

    May 4, 2008
    I've looked online for answers to these, but couldn't find anything and would appreciate some help.

    1) I'm going to college next year and have decided on either the 2.4ghz white MacBook or the black MacBook (really like the color but it's hard to justify spending extra money). Anyway, I know that they have the free iPod Nano promotion that usually starts sometime next month. I'm wondering if I can get the free iPod in addition to student discount, since that would encourage me to wait.

    2) Also, I've heard of possible upgrades coming out in a few months. I'd like to get my MacBook a few weeks before college starts (so early August at latest) just so I can adjust to it (haven't used Mac since a decade or so ago), so should I wait or just buy the current model as soon as the iPod promotion comes out? If I buy a MacBook and it gets upgraded shortly after, can I exchange them?

    Thanks in advance. I'll keep posted here
  2. KompleX macrumors regular

    Mar 4, 2008
    Downey, CA
    2) you have 14 days to return or exchange the macbook. if newer models come out during this time, you can exchange it for a 10% restocking fee. as to when the new models come out, i'm guessing early of next year.
  3. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 12, 2008
    Carmel, IN.
    Well the rumors look to be true that they'll release that new aluminum macbook either next month or soon after so i guess you could wait a little longer. If they announce it in mid-June, it should be available by the end of june or beginning of july. Just like the MBA which began shipping only 2 weeks after Steve Jobs announced it.
  4. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a


    Mar 26, 2008
    If they offer an ipod, you can get it and the student discount. Last year the ipod offer ended right before the hardware update. It will be interesting to see if they offer a redesigned macbook for the new school year or wait till after the students get their back-to-school notebooks.
  5. illuminatus! thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 4, 2008
    That's good to know. If I sell the iPod, that would pretty much cover for the upgrade from white to black MacBook. I'll at least wait for the iPod deal to begin, and maybe a bit later if I hear anything regarding the upgrades. Thanks for the responses
  6. amac4me macrumors 65816


    Apr 26, 2005
    The last 2 back to school promotions were announced on June 5 (2007 & 2006). Expect the next one to be announced sometime in June.
  7. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    Wait if you really want an iPod. Plus you don't really it now, so why buy it now?

Share This Page