Buying a macbook today, or wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Telefonkiosk, Aug 29, 2007.

  1. Telefonkiosk macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #1
    Hey everybody, I need a bit of advice.

    I really want a macbook, and are on the edge to buy one. The question is - should I buy one today, or should I wait to after Leopard is released. I have a very thight economy, so I probably can't afford Leopard if I should buy it later on. Being a student kinda suck on that point:p

    Leopard aside, How long do you think it will take before the next hw-upgrade. If it's this year, I could probably wait - cause some of the hw in the cheapest macbook kinda suck:p

    So what do you think? Buy now, or wait for upgrades/leopard? I want my macbook this year:p

    Prethanks for all answers (aww my english blows:p)
     
  2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2005
    Location:
    Bookshop!
    #2
    you definitely should wait for Leopard if you can't afford to upgrade to it. After that, it becomes need vs want.
     
  3. iSwitchd macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    #3
    Hmmm... I'm in the similar tough decision.

    You could always buy your macbook now and get the back to school promo free iPod.

    Sell the iPod, use the money to upgrade to Leopard (which I believe I read is $69 for students...)

    Then you come out about $130 ahead - and you have your macbook now, Leopard when it's released...and extra cash in your pocket. :)
     
  4. Telefonkiosk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #4
    I live in norway, and up here in the north we don't have that back2school offer. We had it last year, but not this year - strange.

    I'm a little bit afraid that if I wait for leopard. When leopard is release, then it's "only" one or two months until HW-upgdrades, and I'll decide to wait even more. And so on:S
     
  5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

    scienide09

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    If you wait, there will ALWAYS be new hardware upgrades around the corner.

    If you need/want the computer now, get it now. Then save up for Leopard over the next few months. This way, you'll have two sets of OS discs just in case something bad happens to one set.

    You mentioned that you don't have the iPod promotion -- is the education discount still available to you? If so, Leopard will qualify for the discount, so it won't be that much extra.
     
  6. iSwitchd macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    #6
    x2. Which is why I'm considring to wait until Christmas time or a little after.

    I'll be pissed if I buy my macbook in late October/November...and then they upgrade Dec/Jan!! Especially since I don't NEED it right now.

    I'm just gonna tuck away $1300-$1400 within the next month or two...that way it's not even an issue and I won't be tempted to charge it. I'm excited, but hate waiting!

    I guess that's all part of the excitement though. It makes getting a Mac that much more rewarding. ;)
     
  7. Telefonkiosk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #7
    @scienide09
    I have 8% off on the macbook, and 33% off on OSX Tiger

    @iSwitchd
    Our minds work the same way. It kinda suck buying a mac now if Apple decides to upgrade in the near future.

    ---
    I really want a macbook, but I also want the latest of the latest, so the ideal would be to buy right after an upgrade. But I don't want to wait forever for that upgrade.
     
  8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

    scienide09

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #8
    Well, the Educ discount should apply to Leopard as soon as it comes out. I don't know what the total comes to where you are.

    Here in Canada the discount on Tiger is about 40%, making Educ price of $90 CDN a great deal (compared to the regular $150 price). I'll be getting my copy from my campus reseller once they arrive.

    If you only receive 8% on the Macbook, it might be worth comparing prices to those in the Refurb store. You may find an better deal, and since the iPod promotion doesn't apply, it can't hurt.
     
  9. Telefonkiosk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #9
    @scienide09
    The cheapest macbook cost 1448,13 USD in Norway. Our goverment put insane duties and taxes on computer related products. Originally we only get 5% off on macs, but by university have a "special deal" with apple - giving us 8% off.

    Anyways, the waiting game. More inputs? It's hard to wait, but it's quite hard to buy right away when I think about Leopard in October og also possible upgrades in near future.
     
  10. prady16 macrumors 6502

    prady16

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    Location:
    Right There --->
  11. Telefonkiosk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #11
    So you think that's the best solution? If so I will buy the day after Leopard is released. You don't think Leopard has some startup problems as for being a brand new os and so on?
     
  12. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2005
    Location:
    Bookshop!
    #12
    I'd hope not, especially after all its delays!

    I reckon this will be the most stable OS release we've seen yet.
     
  13. Telefonkiosk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #13
    Leopard seem really good indeed!
    After i little thinking I figured that I can buy Leopard later on, and Christmas is coming up and so on^^

    What I am afraid of is that maybe the Leopard release will be followed by hardwareupgrades to for example the low end macbooks. What do you think about that?
     
  14. amac4me macrumors 65816

    amac4me

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    #14
    Keep in mind that Apple has only released 1 update to the MacBook line this year ... that was back on May 15.

    I'll place my bet that they have an update planned prior to the holiday buying season and that it will most likely be announced around the time Leopard is released.
     
  15. Telefonkiosk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #15
    Hmmm...maybe I should wait until leopard and see if Apple announces new macbook. I think that better hardware is more important than Leopard for me. Not having dvd-burner, and a sluggish graphicscard kinda suck when buying a new laptop.

    I'll wait until Leopard, if Apple announces new macbooks - I'll wait and buy an upgraded macbook. If not, I buy right away with Leopard preinstalled.
     
  16. amac4me macrumors 65816

    amac4me

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    #16
    I think that's a wise decision to hold off a bit. Over the past two years, Apple has revamped the laptop lines just prior to the holiday season and you can be sure that Apple will do something this year in conjunction with the Leopard release to give portable sales a boost.
     
  17. Telefonkiosk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #17
    Thanks for the advice:)

    Will be a "hangaround" in the forums, and will probably come with some OS X questions and so on after I get my macbook.
     

Share This Page