Buying a macbook today. Refurbished or new?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neith, Feb 5, 2008.

1. neith macrumors newbie

neith

It is the new 2.2ghz mid range white macbook.
    The difference in price between the new and refurbished is 130 pounds ($260). and I'll have to wait 1-2 weeks for the refurb while I can go to the apple shop and buy a new one within the hour.

I've heard great positive comments about refurbs from apple.

The problem is that I am extremely fussy about my things. I can't have scratches or flaws on my stuff. I have a feeling that if I get the refurb every little problem I encounter will make me believe it was because it is a refurb and I'll regret my decision.

Help me decide. as you can see the decision to be made isn't based purely on logic but also my obsessive compulsive tendencies.

Thanks for reading.

2. eswank macrumors 6502

I totally understand how you feel. I'm still stuck with my decision of buying a new or refurb MacBook. IMO, I think that buying a refurb will help a lot because of saving money. You might get lucky and have Apple give you a MacBook with more memory than what you had originally ordered. But if you don't at least you can save that extra cash and max out the memory on the MacBook.

As for scratches, that's a chance you're going to have to take. But from what I've read in these forums, people have said that they're received a flawless item coming from the Apple refurb store.

Good luck with your decision.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

4. soupyjnr macrumors 6502

Im one of these people were everything has to be perfect - and I would need to have the original box and stuff..... I would buy it new, but if money is tight at the minute, the Refurb is a good option :)

Hope this helps

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you're picky about small flaws like scratches and stuff DON'T get a refurbished one because they are used laptops and most likely will have scratches, etc. I suggest purchasing a new one online which would still be cheaper than going to the Apple store. But, again...if you are picky about small scratches and stuff don't get a refurbished because you'll just be upset.

6. bzboy01 macrumors newbie

New Macbook for you

Re-furbish means used. So please spend an extra 130 pounds and purchase a new one from apple or look for a new one on ebay where it is selling for the same price as a re-furb. I hope that helps.

7. neith thread starter macrumors newbie

neith

I went to the apple store and bought it. I'm posting this on it of course.
    FTW! :D

thanks guys

8. goose1873 macrumors member

9. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Used, yes. But they under go rigorous fixing, cleaning, and testing before being shipped. Plus, they come with the standard one year warranty.

I just purchased a second refurbished MacBook less than an hour ago from the Apple Store coincidentally.

10. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

refurb all the way - they're as good as new and a complete no-brainer AFAIC

11. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

I faced the same issue as the OP. I was dead set on the Refurb till I went to the store to look at the white vs black. I couldn't leave the store without one, damn myself for being impatient :(

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb from Apple. I've heard great things about all of them. Look brand new, function new (sometimes better), and come with a full warranty.

If you can't wait - the store is the answer to the question :)

12. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

My daughter just received her refurbed Blackbook. Indistinguishable from brand new, except for the price.