Buying a macbook today?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by neith, May 14, 2009.

1. neith macrumors newbie

neith

I see that macrumors lists the current macbook as neutral - mid cycle.
    I'm very tempted to go to the apple store today and pick one up, the higher end aluminium one with 4GB ram and a 320GB HD.
    At this point in time is it a good buy or would you suggest I wait for the next revision?

I currently own a white macbook 2.4ghz 4GB ram which is a factor, I was going to sell it to my mom and put that cash towards the new one.

I want the new one as I love the design and material, and the 9400M will be vastly superior to the graphics on my current macbook.

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

You should get one today.....

P.S.: Why do kids "sell" their ol' stuff to their parents??

4. neith thread starter macrumors newbie

neith

My white macbook is much, much better than her 3 year old ibook.
    She asked me if I would sell it to her, which I will, and for not much.

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

shouldn't it be the other way round? ;) hehe

6. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Get it today and enjoy it today, I never get why people wait when it comes to technology. There will always be something better coming out around the corner. So you might as well as get what you that does the job. I have just picked up a new 2.4UMB and am loving the new screen very good in contrast to the older UMB's.

7. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Agreed! Buy it now, although I hear you get a free iPod after June 1st. But you still have to pay for it up front, then you get a rebate.

8. Germwise macrumors regular

Do you really need an ipod though? the new alu is 1599 plus play for an ipod 250 thats 1850 plus tax which is around 2k. Then get 250 off of that, you still spent 1750.

Instead get a refurbished 2.4 for 1299 plus tax at 1400 and save yourself 350 which is essentially less than buying one anyway.

I wonder if there is an apple reseller that sells refurbished with no tax? that would be the optimum solution.

Eitherway I would wait for wwdc as its only a few weeks away.

9. Toofan macrumors member

Within days of buying the latest and greatest technology, something better comes out. If you want to wait until WWDC (and have the patience to do so) go for it. Coming from a technical background though, the changes you will see in any form of update will be negligible unless they decide to completely revamp the CPU architecture (fat chance). Enjoy sir :)

10. neith thread starter macrumors newbie

neith

Well I bought it. Awesome. Could only get the 250GB HD from the store, the upgrade is only for online shop.

It is a sexy machine I'm psyched. Now I'll play with it :D

11. Toofan macrumors member

Now you can have the pleasure of changing your siggy :p

12. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Congratulations and enjoy your new machine. They are fabulous to use and teh backlit is amazing.

13. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

If you wouldn't mind commenting on this, how is the battery life? Also, how well does it do for video encoding and multitasking? I am considering an upgrade from a mid-2007 iMac (2.0ghz C2D with 3gb RAM), and I really want to know how well these Macbooks stack up.

14. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

If you have the time, would you mind taking some high quality photos of the older & newer Alu MB screens for us? I'll really appreciate that. :) A big thanks in advance. :)

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Hope you enjoy it -

Quick general point - How is the MacBook still:

16. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

I would have waited. Nothing pisses me off more than buying something and then two weeks later an updated product is out for the same price. Especially since apple seems to refresh their macs twice a year. So close now.

But since you got it, I hope you enjoy it.:D:D I can't wait to get a new one. But I am waiting to see the next refresh.

By the way, how can the product be in a neutral buy if it's past the average wait for a refresh? Am I the only one who finds that odd on the buyers guide?

17. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

LOL, sorry, you beat me to it. I keep asking the same question.

18. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

If you have a military ID, the PX is an excellent place to shop without tax.;)

19. Zillicah macrumors member

I just bought mine on Monday and it's coming tomorrow!
    I don't care if I have the latest and greatest. I actually don't need latest and greatest, so this is why I don't care if Apple releases a new one every month.

:)

20. Myyke macrumors newbie

I agree generally with all the "technology advances anyway so don't force yourself to wait" sentiment but when the possibility of a refreshed macbook is only a month away, it does change things a bit.

I for one am waiting, see what happens and will then get one either way :D.

21. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Also known as paying only the taxes on an ipod (what 25$ ?). Plus the possibility of getting a speed bump.
    ;)

Mind you, I don't know if the OP is still in school. Anyways, I'd personally wait if your current computer is still cutting it.

22. Germwise macrumors regular

my point is that if he really wants an ipod its actually cheaper to buy a refurbished UMB and then buy a new ipod.

they make you think you are saving money, but in reality, nothing beats the refurbished MBs.

23. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...good point to an extent...

24. neith thread starter macrumors newbie

neith

I got a 15% student discount and applecare for £50 instead of the normal rate of £195.

Deducting the sale of my previous macbook this new one cost £600.

If it gets upgraded in June I will be mildly disappointed, it will be something like a 200mhz cpu increase, larger HD and possibly a standard 4GB of ram. I can live without these improvements if I have to.

25. amabo macrumors member

I just bought a white refurbished macbook last week as well, although it was necessary since my other computing device is slowly melting...

I couldn't be happier. This thing boots up faster than my Santa Rosa MBP and I love the keyboard layout with the chicklet keys. I never used the backlit keyboard (I still don't understand why it's so sought after...) and I don't mind the loss in screen space (although I have to buy a dongle now to connect my external to this laptop).

I don't know why everyone thinks they're going to upgrade the macbooks at WWDC. It has been less than a year since the laptop refresh and they're not going to touch it again until after the college buying season is over. The white macbook will definitely not be discontinued (for college students) and there will not be a speed increase - there's no reason for it.

And for those hoping for a firewire port to be added onto the UMB - dream on. I don't think Apple will outcast all those who bought one less than a year ago.