Buying a MacBook White 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacAndrew07, Jun 7, 2013.

1. MacAndrew07 macrumors member

Hello guys one again, this is my third thread this month. I'm about to buy a used 2009 MacBook with the Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, so this is my first Mac laptop, because I've got a 2006 Mac Mini, but due to my needs of video editing for college, Photoshop and Ilustrator and also low budget I'm forced to buy a MacBook. Too bad because Apple does not seem to sell it anymore. Does anyone still have a MacBook and use it as a main machine? Hows the performance?

2. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Well If you're in college, you can get a MacBook Pro that would beat the pants off this machine for 999, on the apple education store.

Otherwise, I have an identical machine (the same-age macbook pro 13") that is holding up just fine. I'd throw a Solid State drive in there, and it would fly.

3. MacAndrew07 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I know about the education promo Apple is doing but like I said right now I don't have 999 bucks (900 euros), so this machine will have to fit, I'll upgrade the RAM to 4 ou 6 GB and an SSD, should I upgrade it to Lion/ML or leave it with Snow Leopard? This machine does not have the glass trackpad

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

It's too old to be getting a 2009 laptop now. If you need video editing for college, your college will have a very nice computer lab with way better equipment than a consumer laptop. So just buy a modern computer for email, web browsing, etc, and use your college equipment for editing.

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I find my late 2009 White Macbook pretty nice these days.

Last week I got replaced its bottom cover for free and now it looks brand new. Previously I had added 2x4GB RAM modules on it. So, although it isn't any processing monster, it runs pretty well everyday tasks on OSX 10.6.8.

An SSD would be nice, but I'd have to upgrade to Lion/M.Lion, which doesn't make too much sense to me... it's like upgrading Windows XP to Vista or Seven.

6. Hildegerd macrumors regular

Hildegerd

It is not a monster pr se, but my experience is that these whites are keeping up with the MacBook airs from this year as well.

7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Upgrading XP to 7 makes a lot of sense. Seven is better in every way.

___

8. ResPublica macrumors regular

ResPublica

Still a great machine for surfing and word processing, but not too good for gaming and undoubtedly way too slow for frequent video-editing. Current MB Airs are thrice as fast; I'd suggest buying one of those and getting a USB3-drive with it.

9. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

My experience is that they are not even remotely close to the speeds of the current MBA.

10. heartsglory macrumors member

I bought one. I bought a Macbook Mid 2009 from Amazon and paid 327 with 2-day shipping. I have a side business developing websites. I say go for it and buy one BUT get one that fully supports ML and later Mavericks. I came from a DC Powermac G5 2.3. My Macbook I can see will last me for a few years. My G5 can still be used for website design but I wanted to branch out into iOS development, hence a Macbook purchase.

11. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

If you have a Mac Mini now, why not get an updated Mac Mini, they're pretty good and cheap. I would invest a bit more into your machine. You can't get quality output without a quality machine to make it. Remember that your machine can last you years and years, don't buy something on it's last legs only to have it die and be worth nothing. Unless it's free or close to it, I would pass on an 06 computer.

12. dandeco macrumors regular

I have a mid-2009 white MacBook that I bought for less than $500. I upgraded the RAM to 6 GB, put in a bigger hard drive and upgraded the OS to Mountain Lion and it feels almost like a newer Mac in some ways! It also edits video really well on Adobe Premiere Pro :D