buying a macbook....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nlivo, Jun 24, 2007.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

gday....i am thinking about buying the lowest model of the macbook's but my main concern is the combo drive and i don't want to upgrade because i am a student and lack money but i was wondering.....how much difference does it make....will it be any slower at ripping dvd's using handbrake??? what are some big differences between a combo drive and a double-layer superdrive???

thanks- and i might just wait 'til a tablet mac comes out (an official apple one)

2. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

you might be waiting till hell freezes over, the way the iphone is hogging all of apple's attention.

3. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

it seems to me, ripping dvds would be the same speed but no dual layer or dvd burning on the combo. heres where i found it at.. http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

just gotta scroll down and it has "Storage" with the info on the super and combo drive.

BRad

4. nlivo thread starter macrumors 6502a

if thats how long i have to wait...so be it!!!

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, my dears.... you live in a fantasy world if you think that the DVD drive speed is the limiting factor in how long it takes to rip a disc with Handbrake. Not with two cores. Not, to my knowledge, with 8. Someday, when you have 80 cores in your computer, yes, you will be able to convert a DVD to H.264 faster than you can read it off the physical media. But you have a ways to go. ;)

If you don't need to *burn* DVDs, then the Combo drive shouldn't hurt you too much.

6. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

NERD ALERT LOL
    live in a fantasy world if what is the what what what? as if!