Buying a MacBookPro 13" in Japan: any drawbacks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by foice, Sep 3, 2014.

1. foice macrumors member

Hello I will be traveling in Japan for some time and I am considering to buy a MBP13 once there.

I know that I can buy it with a US keyboard, so there is no problem on that side. OS X can be set to english so that too should not be an issue.

I am planning to buy it with an AppleCare Protection plan, here I am less sure this is going to be helpful when I will be back home. I know (because I have used it) that AppleCare Protection bough in the US covers me internationally and that AppleCare Protection bought in Europe covers me in the US, but the AppleCare Protection bought in Japan is it going to cover me in US and Europe?

Besides this delicate aspect of the AppleCare Protection, do you see any drawback buying in Japan?

Thanks for your advices.
    Cheers,
    Roberto

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You seem to have answered your own question based on your experience with AC bought in the US and AC bought in Europe. Why not give Apple a call or open a chat session with Apple support and see what they say about it?

3. maxwelltech macrumors 6502

maxwelltech

I am quite sure that AppleCare protection is covered around the globe. Other than that, often in other foreign countries, the price of Apple products are marked up significantly compared to the US. You might want to check the Apple Japan website and use a currency converter to compare the prices (at least that is what I would do).

Happy traveling!

4. foice thread starter macrumors member

Hello
    I will probably give a shot to the Apple number for Japan sales, they seem to have support in english as well.

AC conditions change country by country, so I better double check. For the price it seems reasonable over there.

Anyways, I am happy if somebody wants to share his/her Japan purchase story.

Cheers,
    Roberto

5. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

6. foice thread starter macrumors member

hi plasticparadox, thanks for sharing your story!
    roberto