buying a MacPro - what's the best config for....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by charlestrippy, Aug 22, 2007.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

Hey - i'm thinking about getting a new MacPro so I can speed up my editing (currently using a MacPro Pro C2D and the lack of space is just getting annoying)

I went through the config for the MacPro and I got something like:

Specifications for the MacPro

Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    4GB (4 x 1GB)
    750GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)
    Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel)
    One 16x SuperDrive
    Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme
    Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple wireless Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
    Mac OS X - U.S. English

Now - is it overkill to have the 4GB or should I use the money and just have 1GB Ram and having 8-core?

I'm going to be doing a lot of video editing on this machine with a lot of photoshop. I'm not sure what I should get since there are SO many nice little "extra add-ons" (which obviously jack up the price significantly!)

Or would getting an iMac with the following specifications be as good?

Specifications for the iMac

2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme
    2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    1TB Serial ATA Drive
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Apple wireless Mighty Mouse
    Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X
    AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Auto-enroll
    Accessory kit
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
    24-inch glossy widescreen LCD
    AirPort Extreme
    Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

2. hondaboy945 macrumors member

If money is not the object, just go with the Pro with the 4Gs RAM. You said that you were going to be doing video. Also if you got the Pro you could wait longer between upgrades. If you get the iMac you are a little limited.

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

1. Do not buy RAM from Apple. That is unless you like to overpay.

2. Same thing with hard drives. For the price you pay to upgrade to the 750GB, you could probably get 2 500GB in addition to the 250GB in it already.

3. You don't need and ACD. They are under-featured and overpriced. There are other display to be had. Heck for less than the price of one 23" ACD, I got two 24" LGs.

4. The Mac Pro is likely to be updated before the end of the year. Most people around here think it is best to wait for that update.

5. The iMac is a good option. However, space is limited in it as well, since you can't expand. You would have to get some external storage which is good for you anyway.

6. Any reason you need Airport in the Mac Pro? It has two gigabit ethernet ports...

4. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

Is there a good place to buy the extra ram for the macpro? and for the hard drive?

Is there really much (maybe a dumb question) different between the dual core and quad? can you really max it out to need that (unless you're doing a full feature movie?)

oh so if i just get the airport base station I wont need the wireless? the only issue is that my modem is in the living room and i'll need the computer in my studio..so i'm sure i'll have to get the wireless,eh?

and the apple display - really they aren't as good as i assumed? when I saw them at the apple store I was blown away - there are better HD monitors?

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Crucial for the RAM - 4 gig is $380 and it's virtually identical to Apple OEM ram...same heat sink and everything. NewEgg for the hard drives. I picked up some Western Digital 500 gig SATA drives from them for $110 each.

The Apple Drives are Seagate Barracuda 7200.10's (at least mine is). Instead of paying $320 from Apple, you can pick them up at at NewEgg for $119.

Monitors...I went with two of the 30" ACD's. I'm sure there are cheaper monitors, maybe even better monitors, but I am still blown away every time I turn them on.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

4GB is really the minimum you'd want with a 4 core. 1 GB ram for 8 cores would just be ridiculous. And I assume you are coming from a MBP? MacPro Pro confuses me..Wait for the revision, it will hopefully be soon.

7. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

The problem is I'm going to need it within a couple weeks - i don't know if can wait it out...

If you guys were to "config" a MacPro - would would you do - the video editing i'm doing isn't like Motion Picture stuff with crazy effects - but it'll be for DVD's and some cool little effects

thanks!

8. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

that ram link was for the 8-core - is it the same memory for the dual core? or quad?

9. Hmac macrumors 68020

The link was for the 4-core. The 8-core is the same price, though.

Mac Pro -> 4-core = two dual cores. 8-core = two quad cores.

10. KathyD macrumors newbie

11. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

12. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I agree, I wouldn't order from that website. It just gives off that vibe of being really sketchy.