buying a magsafe adpt. what's the difference 40/60/80w ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lgfaver, Aug 4, 2011.

1. lgfaver macrumors member

so im looking to buy a power adapter because i forgot mine where i was on Holiday. I wont be getting it back until next friday. In the mean time i have no way to charge the damn thing.
    I've seen a couple of listings on craigslist but they have different ones, 40w, 60 and so on...
    I really don't know which one would be compatible with my 2011 13inch core i5 MBP.

Should i get some guidance on this issue from the great members of this board, i'd be extremely thankful.

2. Cole JM macrumors regular

I think you should be using the 60W. Id call apple though, or go to one of the stores, they could tell you in about 2 seconds.

3. BenFL macrumors member

The 45w is for the MBA the 60w is for the 13" MB/MBP and the 85w is for the 15" and 17" MBP

4. lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

thank you for clarifying that. Now, does that mean that i can't use the 45 or the 85w with my MBP13?

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

No.

You can use any Mafsafe adapter with any 'Book. However, if you use a 40 watt Magsafe with a 17" MBP, it's not going to charge very quickly and it will throttle down performance. Conversely, if you use an 85 watt Magsafe with an Air, the Air will simply take what it needs--you won't damage the Air. Etc.

6. lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

i see, so basically the 85w one would would work just fine with my 13inch MBP.

again, thanks for the help.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, the 85W one will work fine.

8. lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

done, bought this 85w adptr. It's not the new L-shaped one, but it seems to be working so i am happy. Got it for 40 bucks too, HA! :)

thanks to everyone who replied.

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

60w is the one that is for your computer...

you can also use the 85w one safely.