Buying a MB AIR and a MBPRO 17" need opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jarpod, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jarpod macrumors member

By way of introduction, im a lawyer and Im considering buying these two laptops.
    I would use the air for travel (browse the internet, and what have you)
    I would use the MBPRO 17" as a mobile desktop computer (I kinda need the
    17" widescreen to work with multiple word documents)

My questions would be:
    1.-the mid range mbpro (15") has the exact same specs as the 17" is the 300+ dollars bump worth it? I mean do 17" users are happy with their laptops? (Im considering on getting the high def option on a glossy screen)

2.- Are MB Air users happy with their laptops? Im having a hard time deciding whether its justified or not the high price of the MB AIR versus the price of the low end Macbook (I think im getting more features with the MB for a lower price)

3.- I was a "victim" of the iphone price drop... I got my 100 dollar certificate from apple, but it did not made me entirely happy... I sold my 3 month outdated 4gb iphone just to get a newer 8gb iphone for the new price. I was wondering if theres a chance that the same thing would happen with the MB Air.

Im a noob here, please pardon my ignorance if this has been asked before... I truly appreciate your time for reading my post, and hope to get some honest feedback....
    again thanks!

2. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

I obviously cannot comment on price drop of the Air - except to say that Apple has done it very rarely if at all in the case of laptops.

MacBook Pro 17" - it boils down to an extra USB port, increased weight, increased screen real estate. If you do work which could benefit from these features go for the 17". Otherwise the 15" will do you good.

Have you looked at the Macbook Air reviews - it would be better if you made your decision after looking at its limitations. You might feel like buying a MacBook instead of the Air would work out better. I am not saying don't buy the Air - just asking if you have done a comparison with Macbook and are you OK with what the Air provides.

Hope that helps.

3. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

Y exactly do you need a mobile desktop computer. Isn't the MBA enough as a mobile device? The MBA is more than enough to run any program comparable to a regular Macbook.

You should probably get a 24' imac or even a 30in screen with a mac mini.

I say this because most office jobs don't require top of the line specs. It will work flawlessly on a mini/mba.

4. jarpod thread starter macrumors member

I know for a fact that the air is VERY limited... (one USB, no optical drive and slower cpu and smaller HDD) but I guess that its more than enough if I just work with office 2008.... and some keynote (which BTW I use a lot)

about getting a 24" imac its a great idea now that you mention it..... but I think its easier to handle the 17" than the imac...even though the 17 is big, its still a portable......
    thanks I will take your comment in consideration...
    (Where can I get some reviews of the mb air?)

5. jarpod thread starter macrumors member

Because I move a lot... you can say that I have multiple "offices" some times I have to stay at a hotel room for more than a month and I think that in those cases the 17" would come in handy.... for ocassional travel the MBA would hit the spot.....
    I see that you have a MBA... how do you like it so far?

6. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

But keep in mind that for 2lb more weight the MacBook has much more to offer at a significantly less price.

Walt Mossberg has a good review here.

7. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

My father is a lawyer and the ONLY thing he cares about in computers is screen real estate (he has a 15" dell with a 1920x1200 resolution) and that is because lawyers need to see two or three documents in full side by side on the same screen and have it be readable. My advice knowing my father is get the 17" macbook pro and be done with it. It would probably be very annoying to sync the two computers regularly and the mbp's are definitely thin and portable despite their size. Just my two cents.

8. jarpod thread starter macrumors member

niceeeeeeee you nailed it! :D
    I do need that, 2 or 3 documents @ the same time!!!!
    soooooooo
    I think ill do that ;)

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

If I was you...

Get a MBP...and a MP.

The MBP is a very portable computer. I have the 15" and it is quite light, thin, and does everything I need. The 17" is about 1 pound heavier and just bigger, but you can still bring it places no problem!!

A MacPro. Now, this would be overkill but in your situation I would get an older model MP. Like a 2.66GHz. Keep that at your office. Buy 2 23" screens and you will be set. That is just what I think. I would love to get my hands on a MP or PowerMac G5.

So for you...get the 17" hi res. And get a desktop for the office.

10. KrAyZiE macrumors newbie

Want to save a butt load of money?

Forget the macbook pro, get a macbook or just use your air for everything. If your just doing multiple word documents and nothing that demands much from your computer, you are not going to need two laptops (especially not a Macbook Pro).

Multiple word documents you say? Need more screen space you say? Hmm.

Answer: Spaces.

I just saved you 2000 dollars.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Spaces is nowhere near a replacement for oodles of extra screen space. I use a 20" monitor at work and home. Using Quark and Photoshop at work, I can tell you that I could use 2 30" ACDs if given to me. I have tried Spaces here and don't really get how it's different than minimizing something to the Dock.

For the lawyer who started the thread, unless you have gold oozing out all your cracks, go get a 17" MacBook Pro. I can't see spending $1700 on a computer you just use occasionally. I mean MBPs are about 1.1" thick. I have a 15", and it's uber-portable. It's definitely not the 7 pounds my Dell laptop was (plus it's about half as thick). I still think the MacBook Air will be pretty much a blip/failure, but apparently some people want to spend all that money for 2 pounds and an inch.

12. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

For what you need 17" MBP is a must. The screen size is excellent. Love my MBA. For your mobile needs it should be just right although a MB would probably be fine. I find the MBA major advantage is carrying it around like a legal pad and using on the go. If you just pop it out on a plane, MB would probably be fine (although my preference would be MBA if you don't need any of the stuff on a MB like optical drive, larger drive, etc.)

13. KrAyZiE macrumors newbie

He is the definition of a road warrior, and needs nothing more than a MacBook Air or MacBook. He noted working with multiple word documents and even with a large screen resolution you will not be able to fit very many on the screen without using Expose' to flip from one to another, or using spaces.

Don't waste your money on the MacBook Pro if your not using it even near it's potential. Unless, like the above said, "you have gold oozing out all your cracks". Then again, you are a lawyer.

If money isn't a problem, get a 15" macbook pro for the road, and two 23" cinema displays to plug into at your workstation or office. :D

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I just went for the 17" since he mentioned needing all the real estate possible. I hook my 15" MBP up to a 20" ViewSonic monitor almost all of the time. I could just never in good conscience tell someone to use something with "shared video memory" after that HP piece of junk I had many years ago. Yes, it was an HP, but that seemed to make it so sluggish.

FYI, I also recommend the bluetooth keyboard and mouse to use in such a setup -- well, at least the mouse until Apple gets in gear and makes a FULL bluetooth keyboard again.

15. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

But did you not read his post?

He wants the hi-res because of the 1900x1200 res. Why get a MB which has a 1280x800 res? He needs screen space.

16. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I have the Air/17" MBP combo that your about to buy.

Just remember, if you can afford it, go for it.

Air is great for taking around and MBP 17" 1920 res is great.

Being able to have two MS word (or word perfect since that what lawyers user) pages on the same display side by side is the greatest thing.

MBA is great for your quick edits and write downs. I use it for general crap and its great.

17. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

A 1920 res screen is VERY good at showing multiple word documents WITHOUT the need for expose or spaces or any other software.

18. jarpod thread starter macrumors member

Wow, thanks you guys! all your input is well received and here's what I can take in conclusion:
    the hi res MBP 17" is a must for working on office documents.
    the MBA vs the MB will be a choice of taste I presume, because I think that getting a MBA is just like getting a "showoff" computer and the MB is a workhorse.... so I will think this through the night and will make up my mind by monday.

I have a sony UX280p... its an awesome computer.... but its waaaaaaaay small for me..... plus its not a mac :D
    Im selling that sucker to an associate that works in the firm... If I squeeze enough money there, I might end up with the MBA indeed
    again, thanks for your support! you guys have been very very helpful!