Buying a MBP 15" :: first time Mac user/newbie

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gerardo, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Gerardo macrumors newbie

Hi folks. Sorry to ask these questions that are asked very often. I spent a couple of hours reading several threads on these matters, but I am looking for some more specific answers. I decided to upgrade to a 15" MBP, the low-end one. My current laptop is a 15" Compaq Presario 2100, so I don't want to lose screen size. I compared their specs and the MBP is only 1" longer in width, and 2" smaller in depth than my Dell; but the MBP it's 4 pounds lighter. I'm a lawyer/translator so 80% of my computer time is spent with text. I watch DVD's and do some amateur photo and music editing too. I don't play games or do video editing. The Blackbook looks gorgeous and it fits my budget nicely but I've gotten used to the 15" screen. I can get a $1,799 price for the MBP with the student discount (I've been accepted in a US school), which is still a bit pricey for me (I was considering to spend $1,400), but I wouldn't mind spending it if the computer will last 3-4 years. So in that sense it's perhaps not overkill for my kind of use. Lastly, several people said in the "matte vs. glossy" threads that glossy is better for text-based work, because apparently the words look crisper, so I'm considering to go with glossy. I would use it 80% of the time to work in my room or in a normal-lit office, and 20% at the most in outdoors. Plus it's reputedly more better for movie watching. Any ideas, advice or recs? There's no Apple store in my town, unfortunately. Thanks in advance and sorry if these questions have been asked a lot.

2. Anthony8720 macrumors regular

In short, both computers will meet your needs. Even though 13" seems small, keep in mind that you can maximize the window you are working in, and basically have a 13" ms word window open..so text size wouldn't be an issue, and, all macbooks are glossy. They can also handle video editing and photoshopping quite well. I should also mention that a mbp, or any new apple notebook, should last far longer than three years, especially the aluminum macbook pro. I have had mine for almost a year and it could still easily pass as new. If you spend a lot of time typing, maybe try out the keyboards on both. I personally prefer the mbp, I like the softer feeling of the keys. Also, if you are a lawyer, something about carrying around a mbp screams professional. It just looks classy. Glossy vs matte is really your choice. I chose matte, and am very glad i did. If you really will be using outdoors 20% of the time, that means 20% of the time you will be annoyed if you choose glossy. Also, keep in mind expandability. Down the road you may just find yourself wanting to work on a 30" ACD, which is only possible on the mbp. I think either way you will be happy, but get the mbp, it's the best laptop on the market.

3. Mr Mercury macrumors newbie

Around a month ago i purchased a blackbook while its a very nice piece of kit i personally found it lacking a little on the screen size,so i changed for a mbp 15.4" matte display and i still have a grin on my face when i use it now.Everything about it is just pure quality from case to screen you wont be dissapointed.Best of luck.

4. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

The only thing I can add to what others had said already is, in my experience matte is a lot better especially if you're going to spend a lot of time reading text. I believe you may have gotten it in reverse. If you're going to be typing a lot, you may also appreciate the keys on the macbook pro.

5. Gerardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys, that's very helpful;thanks in particular to Anthony8720 for his detailed response. I'll post my decision later!

6. Gerardo thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just finally bought a Blackbook. The official Apple online store for Mexico just opened a couple of weeks ago, and they offer a good price for the computers (my Blackbook was a little over $1,600 USD, tax included, with student discount). I had already developed a complicated plan to have it bought in the US and sent to Mexico (for about $150 dollars more of what I ended up paying now, plus any customs fees I could have gotten), so the store opening here was great news. I just hope the iTunes store for Mexico will follow suit and hopefully open soon.

I'm figuring I'll give the Blackbook a try, it just looks fantastic. In the worst case, I'll sell it and buy the new MBP when they come out next year. I thought that maybe the people who posted their advice here would appreciate an update. Thanks for your help, guys!