buying a mbp 17 uni on ebay i have a question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by capriseyhaze, Mar 15, 2009.

1. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

If you buy a brand new apple comp from ebay or a reseller do you still get the apple warrenty. Like if something goes wrong or i need a replacement do i call apple or the person/reseller.

2. James Cole macrumors 6502

You still get warranty... even if you buy second hand...

3. capriseyhaze thread starter macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

Thanks for the reply man

4. James Cole macrumors 6502

Tell him to give you the serial number to check how much is left of the warranty shouldn't be less than 11 months.

5. poppap macrumors member

I have a first hand experience in this matter.

I bought brand new 15" Unibody from eBay.
    The unit has the problem with the fan being noisy.

Went into apple store, at first they said they will get it fixed under warranty since it's bought on eBay. But after they checked the serial and found out that the machine has been bought from the Apple Store in Miami (I'm in Dallas) and they located the original receipt in the system (I did not received the original receipt from the seller). They just handed me a new box of the same model... (They told me that if it's not bought from Apple Store or Apple.com, they can't replecae the machine on the spot)

So it's really is depended on how the seller bought it and the Genius at the Apple Store whether you'll get a replacement on the spot. But they will definitely fix it if it's under the warranty or has the AppleCare.

6. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

It is possible to get burned, though it is rare. I bought an Air months back from an eBay seller, new, with no original receipt. Apple talked with me on the phone and did everything they could to shrug me off, finally using "no original receipt" as the excuse to not accept my claim.

This was for a torn layer in my LED display on the Air. If it's something they consider to be cosmetic...like a giant ***** blob in the middle of the screen...they'll do what they can to avoid a warranty claim.

Like I said, it's rare, but it can happen. When you register your computer online and it says to save the receipt, they are serious. Of course, stroke as a side effect of taking birth control pills is less than 1%, yet I know somebody to whom it happened.