Buying a MBP @ BestBuy vs Apple Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hardsc02, Feb 21, 2008.

1. hardsc02 macrumors member

I am thinking about going ahead and buying a MBP (the benefits of waiting for the new release aren't enough to hold off). However, I would like to have the most updated OS X software when I order. Say if I ordered a MBP from Apple Store; would the OS be more updated and have the lastest features than if I were to drive to my local Best Buy and pick one up off the shelf? When you place an order on Apple Store do they wait to assembly the MBP until an order is placed, or do they have a supply already boxed up and ready to be shipped similar to what Best Buy has? Any input about this issue would help in my decision.
    Thanks
    hardsc02

2. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

it would be the same either way.
    when you buy a new MBP it comes with leopard and then you can download the upgrades.

3. hardsc02 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thank you. Just out of curiousity though, say several months had gone by after Leopard was released and Apple had released many updates pertaining to the OS, after so long would they then begin to ship the computers with the updates already installed?

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

yes after a while a 10.5.x would start to appear pre-installed

5. Italchef macrumors 6502

I can't really tell you how long after an update they actually start shippinig with the update. 10.5.2 is the latest and that came out just a short time ago. It's rather irrelevant as the updates are just one click away and install seamlessly.
    I would suggest that you buy direct from Apple, be it online or in a store. Basically, you'll just cut out the middle man and its better to deal with Apple directly. In addition, the big box stores will try to sell you their extended warranties but Applecare is the one that you want to get. You have a full year before you really need to purchase Applecare but if you like getting on the phone for support, that part ends 90 days after purchase.
    I would not hesitate to get Applecare though at some point.

Mick

6. hardsc02 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks a lot for the advice. I had never thought about the advantages of cutting out the middle men. It really would be beneficial to deal with Apple directly in case of problems down the road etc. As a rule, I usually don't like to pay extra for any kind of insurance for electronics because they are usually 1-2 year disposable object. I guess an Apple laptop would be an exception; I understand that these machines will last for years and years.

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd recommend skipping on the apple care. Use the regular warranty until it runs out, and if it breaks down after that, you can sell it for a decent price and get a more reliable machine.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would say go the Best Buy route, assuming they still have a 30day no questions return policy. Then if you must get a warranty buy Applecare online like through eBay for a cheaper price, just make sure it is for your Mac model.

As far as any upgrades or accessories do not buy from any brick and mortar store, you get severely ripped off price wise:mad:. I prefer newegg.com prices are far superior on items like memory and hard drives and most notably cables are much much cheaper.

9. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

So you can sell a broken laptop?

How much could I get for a powerbook?

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

People sell them all the time; a lot of people like fixing computers. Just run a search for MBs, MBPs, or other laptops on eBay, and you'll see lots of broken ones going for high prices.

Depends on the model. Depends on the size. Depends on the condition. Loaded G4s can easily run over $800 on eBay.

11. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Wow.... I figured it was a contestant for the "recycling program" She got rained on and now is having all kinds of Kernal errors and such. I can't fix it... but maybe somebody else would like to! Thanks for the tip!

12. joefrank64k macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

Buying from the Apple Store or website would let you take advantage of the education discount.

If you lost your student ID, you can just go to http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html and indicate which school you attended and you'll save some $$$ on the MBP AND the AppleCare...it's US$239 for three years of tech support and hardware warranty.

Don't get it from Best Buy...by it from Apple, they will take care of you if something goes wrong.