Buying a MBP... Have a few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lowrd03vr6, Dec 29, 2011.

1. lowrd03vr6 macrumors newbie

I am new to this forum and have a few questions as I am looking to buy a MBP in the next few weeks.

This will be my first MacBook, but I have used them in the past, so I am not totally new to the Mac scene.

I currently use a 17" Dell that I have had for several years, it still runs good, but I am looking to upgrade. I got almost $1000 in Best Buy gift cards, so I figure there is no better time than now to do so. I am looking to down size to a 13" MBP so I have better mobility. I am not looking for the top of the line laptop as I only use for web browsing, watching movies, and spreadsheets, ect, but I am looking for something that performs well and will last for a while.

Right now Best Buy is offering 3 13" MBP's and I am unsure of what will be the best bang for my buck. They have a i7 with a 750gb HD for $1425, a i5 with a 500gb HD for $1140, and a i5 with a 320gb HD for $1000.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just get the cheapest one. Processor won't make any difference for your needs.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Doing a comparison of the three, any of them would suit your needs. The i5 should be fine; with what you're doing you wouldn't notice a difference with the i7. It says the i5 with the 320HDD ships with Snow Leopard instead of Lion, in case you didn't notice that...and it also says that one is sold out online. SO if you're purchasing online, I'd get the i5 that's still in stock.

4. Akack macrumors 6502a

5. lowrd03vr6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information. I have a second question. If I am using the macbook at my desk, is there a way to hook it up to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse and use it like a desktop computer?

6. MrBullet macrumors member

i5 with 320 GB HDD will easily meet your needs.

7. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

My personal recommendation would be to go with the 15" base model. If you're going from a 17" screen to 13", you'll be in for a huge adjustment. IMHO, the 15" offers a decent sized screen (minimal eye strain) and still quite easy to carry.

8. tmagman macrumors 6502

yeah absolutely. You'll need a miniDisplayPort to VGA or DVI adapter ($30) for your monitor cable and then just plug in your keyboard and mouse to your USB ports! Once it detects the monitor and the external mouse/keyboard plugged in, you can close the laptop and put it aside and use the external monitor as your main screen.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Definitely go with the cheapest version. He only difference between the bottom 2 is the hard drive. It's not worth an extra $140 for the larger one. You can easily get that replaced if you need more storage in the future.

10. keith4594 macrumors member

basic 13" macbook pro will suit all your needs :)

come back here when you get it and ask or search how to type the apple logo on a mac :)

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, like every other laptop on the market. :)

Simply plug in your favourite USB keyboard and mouse(or bluetooth in my case), buy the correct adapter and cable to use with whatever display you want to use, and you're done.

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I strongly agree with this suggestion. I've got 13", 15", & 17" MBP's. All for the very different and specific needs I have. In my opinion for all purpose general usage the base model 15" MBP, is an outstanding choice. A great value, and a long lasting model.

13. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The 15" is easier to look at for long periods of time, very true. OP, it depends on how you're going to be using it. You mentioned your other monitors...if you're going to use it with those a lot of the time, then the 13" is probably fine and will save you some money. If you're going to be using it by itself the majority of the time, you might want to consider the 15". It might be best to go to a store, try them both out and see what you like best.