Buying a MBP in Minnesota

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TeddyLeroux, Jan 25, 2010.

1. TeddyLeroux macrumors member

I am going on vacation in March up to Minnesota and am i interested in buying a MBP... Minnesota has no sales tax on certain items... could i buy my MBP in minnesota without having to pay for sales tax???:apple::apple::apple:

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Generally, food (not including prepared food, some beverages such as soda pop, and other items such as candy) and clothing are exempt from the sales tax in MN. Prescription drugs are also exempt. Not so much with the computers.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Cite your source.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I thought they were asking about the sales tax border crossing over, didn't realize that it was only certain item.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You'd have a hard time arguing your way out of paying it at the cash register by claiming you were taking it back across state lines (although stranger things have happened).

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I was wrong to begin with by thinking that they had no sales tax. I was referring to those that travel to Oregon and Delaware by a computer there without paying tax if they would then have to pay tax because they were not residents.

7. psingh01 macrumors 65816

No sales tax on food and clothes, but sales tax on Macs sadly. I used to live there.

8. TSE macrumors 68030

We also have no sales tax on any food containing flour, since the flour mills were HUGE industry back then. But generally that is not followed, even though it is technically still in effect.

9. prodigee macrumors 6502a

If I were you I would also check how much the sales tax is there before you buy it there, because it could wind up costing you more there than it would in your home state. (After taxes, of course).

10. HBOC macrumors 68020

if you are in Oregon, NO SALES TAX!! ON ANYTHING!!!