Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TeddyLeroux

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
I am going on vacation in March up to Minnesota and am i interested in buying a MBP... Minnesota has no sales tax on certain items... could i buy my MBP in minnesota without having to pay for sales tax???:apple::apple::apple:

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Generally, food (not including prepared food, some beverages such as soda pop, and other items such as candy) and clothing are exempt from the sales tax in MN. Prescription drugs are also exempt. Not so much with the computers.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
I thought they were asking about the sales tax border crossing over, didn't realize that it was only certain item.
You'd have a hard time arguing your way out of paying it at the cash register by claiming you were taking it back across state lines (although stranger things have happened).

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
You'd have a hard time arguing your way out of paying it at the cash register by claiming you were taking it back across state lines (although stranger things have happened).

I was wrong to begin with by thinking that they had no sales tax. I was referring to those that travel to Oregon and Delaware by a computer there without paying tax if they would then have to pay tax because they were not residents.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I am going on vacation in March up to Minnesota and am i interested in buying a MBP... Minnesota has no sales tax on certain items... could i buy my MBP in minnesota without having to pay for sales tax???:apple::apple::apple:

No sales tax on food and clothes, but sales tax on Macs sadly. I used to live there.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
We also have no sales tax on any food containing flour, since the flour mills were HUGE industry back then. But generally that is not followed, even though it is technically still in effect.

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
If I were you I would also check how much the sales tax is there before you buy it there, because it could wind up costing you more there than it would in your home state. (After taxes, of course).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.