Buying a MBP in Montreal (store? online?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by youtoo, Aug 21, 2007.

1. youtoo macrumors newbie

Hi,

my first message here, Hello to everybody. I'll try not to ramble too much...

I'm a newcomer to Mac, this MBP is gonna be my first Apple!

I'm moving to Canada next 1st September. I'm not there yet.

I saw there is long waits to get a a MBP via Apple.ca. So I have some questions, cause I'd like to get my MBP as soon as possible:

1) Right now how long is the average to time to get a MBP from apple.ca?
    2) Do you thing I'm gonna find some MBP (I want the low entry model 2.2) in some shop in Montreal?
    3) There is no official Apple shop there, so which one would you recommend me?
    4) How differs the return policy of an official reseller from the one of apple.ca? I mean, if I get some defective screen or things like that... apple.ca is going to my place to get back the MBP and is sending me a new one? How this whole thing works?
    5) Can I get the student discount and ipod promo if I buy the MBP in a store in Montreal?

Right now I'm thinking to order the MBP via apple.ca (as I already have an address in Montreal where to ship). Do you think this is the wiser option?

Thank you very much for your advice!!!

2. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Congrats on moving to the greatest country on earth. Shame you had to choose Montreal instead of a real city like Toronto (jokes, jokes, Montreal is nice).

First off, there IS an official Apple store just ouside of Montreal in Laval.

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/carrefourlaval/week/20070819.html

They should have everything in stock and you shouldn't have a problem finding one. There are also other 3rd party apple retailers there to serve you though your best bet is probably the official Apple store as they would have stock.

Secondly, they are building a storefront flagship Apple store on St. Catherine Street in the fall. Should be pretty amazing as that street is insane.

Not sure about return policy. I always buy directly from one of the Apple Stores in Toronto and have yet to have an issue.

I wouldn't ship the MBP to the address until you're there. You never know with Apple - it could arrive early. I often ordered small things from Apple.ca and the stuff shows up a week early. They're pretty good like that.

Welcome to Canada.

3. Tousiger macrumors newbie

Nice to see a newcomer.

Hi... I'm new to the forum but a long time visitor of the frontpage :D

I don't know wher you live presently... But one big problem here in Montreal is the sales tax... 6% + 7.5%... On a 3000$ laptop (well... the one I want) it's a bunch of money only in taxes... :mad:

Don't forget this ;)

See you soon in Montreal!

4. youtoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

thanks for the warm welcome, both in the forums as well as in the country!

so, what I get from your replies is:

-there is some rivality between Toronto and Montreal xD
    -the official store is outside Montreal, so being my first days there and without car I'm not sure is going to be easy to get there, and I would like to avoid getting lost the first week in Montreal.
    -if I'm buying the MBP in a store, I'm going to pay 6% or 7% more.
    -I still don't know if I can get the 200CAD discount and free ipod for being a student if I buy the MBP in a real store.

right now, I'm still thinking to order the laptop next monday via apple.ca...

what do you think?

thanks!!!

5. lsmeteor macrumors newbie

Hello,

First time poster here as well :)

If you order your laptop online, you still have to wait a few days before you actually get your hands on it. You mentioned you were moving on September 1st, it wouldn't really make any difference if you waited a bit and visited a store once in Montreal.
    I got the impression that you are a student? Maybe your school computer store carries Apple laptops as most do nowadays. You would most certainly qualify to the rebate and the free ipod, and you would get your computer right away, unless of course, everyone buys a computer when school year starts, then you will want to come back the next day, or hit the bigger electronic stores all around town. I got my MBP from the Concordia University computer store.
    Depending on where you will be staying, you'll be able to reach the Laval store even without a car by using the subway system. ( we call it the métro)

Welcome to Montreal.

ps. I lived in Toronto for 3 years before, it's not as much fun as in Montreal....J/K I loved it there.

6. moez macrumors regular

I had ordered my MBP for T.O. and what I could say is that for MBP when they say the waitiing period, they are correct in saying that. My laptop didnt ship a day before. So, if you order on say Tuesday, you would be safe and the laptop would arrive the same time you would.

As for buying in store, it could be possible that they could be out of stock for MBP specially if u want the glossy screen and stuff.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You will pay GST and TVQ (Quebec provincial tax) at the Apple web store, and at any physical store location in Quebec, there's no avoiding it unless you carry it into the province yourself from outside the border (even then, you are expected to voluntarily declare and remit taxes)

In Canada there are only a couple of AppleStores, so there are a good number of independent authorized Apple resellers. The best of these provide excellent service. You're probably going to have to order through Apple or your University if you want the Edu discount and iPod deal though.

Don't buy RAM from Apple, they overcharge like bandits. Stick to a stock configuration if you can.