Buying a MBP in NYC - some advice on configs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cosmos666, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Cosmos666 macrumors newbie

Hi y'all,

Loyal reader here, just signed up to ask for your advice..
    Travelling from Amsterdam early September to NYC and planning on buying a MBP. Still not too sure about 13 or 15 inch, and anti-glare or not.
    I can find a lot of stuff via the search, but still have a few questions:
    - Planning on using it at home mostly on the couch or at the dining table, what's your experience with the 13 inch for that? Just lighter and more portable, or useful enough?
    - What is your experience with the anti-glare as far as possible damage goes? Have a little kid who sometimes wants to point out stuff with her finger :). Would the standard glossy screen be safer as it looks like an extra glass plate on the screen?
    - Planning on adding an SSD and extra RAM by ordering that online upfront, what's the best store to do that at? Or are there stores in NYC where I could go to as well?

Thanks!

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Just be aware we pay 8.875% sales tax in New York City (all boroughs). And no, you cannot recoup that as it is a sales tax, not a value-added tax. Just make sure you factor that into your purchase; even with a weak dollar, I know that can be tough to stomach.

If you are planning to just use it on the couch, consider the Air or an iPad.

The glossy is significantly easier to clean. Anti-glare needs to be clean with a lot more care.

My preferred place to buy electronics is B&H Photo & Video.

3. Cosmos666 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, aware of the sales tax. But even then, buying a MBP over there will save me about 700$. Prices over here are pretty crazy.
    As far as that store goes, would I be fine with picking up this to upgrade my memory then?

4. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

No, that's nota good choice of memory. Look for DDR3, 10600/10666/10667 modules, which run at 1333. You can find them for cheaper actually.

Try Newegg. Or even Amazon. Latter is tax "free" (iirc there are no hqs in NY).

5. Cosmos666 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this. I ended up with these ones. Any brands that i should prefer, or are all of these fine? Crucial, Corsair, etc.?

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Amazon collects tax in New York. Newegg is great, but there is no brick-and-mortar store. Is the OP planning on having something delivered?

7. Cosmos666 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I'm planning on yes, at my hotel.

8. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

No way Newegg will delivery to your hotel. They generally do not ship to an address that is different than the billing address of the credit-card holder.

See the third FAQ on the list.

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

Why not just get on the NJ transit, take the east coast corridor train down to Metropark and pick up one from the Apple store in MenloPark mall? You'll save money... at least you should... I haven't done the calculations. Too lazy.

10. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

It's tight. The tax in NJ is 7%. Add the cost of the train ticket and then the bus/cab from MetroPark to the Menlo Park Mall and you are probably out of the money.

11. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

lol, i found this to be funny, i'm in cali so I get tax from NewEgg so i get things from Amazon.

I have a MBP 15, i kinda wish i got an antiglare screen, i'm on the computer a Lot, so my eyes tire out a bit. Then again i'm not sure if an anti-glare screen would help, i assume it would.