Buying a MBP on ebay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Olufemi, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Olufemi macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Just curious if anyone has had experience buying a high end MBP on ebay?
    Ok so when it says "New, sealed in box" as its status then, assuming that its a legit sale and I'm not being ripped off or anything like that, how does the applecare warranty work at that point?

Would the computer be sold to me in my name as the owner and I can register as the individual owner as far as apple is concerned? Or does the computer need to be purchased from an official Apple reseller to have that consideration?

I suppose in other words, is buying from ebay the same as buying from, say Macmall? I understand the risk I would be taking and I have not decided to do this, in fact I will probably end up waiting for MWSF before I do anything, but I am just curious because I have seen some nice deals on some 2.4ghz MBPs.

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks!!

2. AndyClarke macrumors regular

AndyClarke

Hi got a brand new 15inch 2.16Ghz Macbook Pro from Ebay about a year and half ago and it is still working perfectly today even though my better half now has it. It was brand new sealed and I saved £250 over the Apple store price. So I was very happy. Not sure if all sales go like that so you really do need to check out the sellers feedback thoroughly and call them before you send the money.

And remember: If it's seems to good a deal to be real then it probably is!

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I have had 0 problems buying two high end pc laptops and an iMac. Make sure you find a good seller with a lot of good feedback you should not have a problem. You can also pickup applecare for $99 on ebay, i am not sure how it works with transferring it since i never used it myself.

4. ibglowin macrumors regular

Check out the Apple refurbed MBP's first

Prices on eBay can go crazily high. So high that for the same amount of $$$ you can get a (sometimes) brand new MBP for about the same amount of $$$ plus get a full Apple warranty. :cool:

5. Olufemi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I bought a compaq notebook on ebay several years ago and I was not disappointed. The MBPs I am looking at are from sellers with 99.5 percent ratings and many many sales so I'm sure I would have no problem.

Thanks again!