buying a mbp on ebay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thecman123, Oct 26, 2009.

1. thecman123 macrumors newbie

help! i was going to buy the high-end 13 inch mbp for christmas but then they updated the white macbook which is almost the same(does anyone know if they will be updating the mbp?) i have recently been on ebay and have seen mbp's for good prices. would any of you reccomend buying from ebay? or should i stick to apple? and if so, should i get the white macbook or 13 inch mbp? i have till christmas

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No one knows when they'll update the MBP line, but now is a pretty good time to buy.

The white macbook is not quite the 13" MBP, not even on paper.

I would buy from eBay as a last resort. I would want to ensure I was fully protected (as best as eBay will protect the buyers who often get the shaft). I would go refurb from Apple first if you're trying to save cash.

Not knowing your needs I cannot comment which notebook is right for you. I say 13" MBP though, that's my choice based on nothing.

3. thecman123 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah ebay would be a last resort. ill be using it daily at school, then just playing around with imovie and garageband and playing some WoW. im hoping they upgrade them like the white macbooks before christmas. but now that i think about it i rather buy straight from apple so i get a warranty

4. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Be Careful

I just want to say to be careful when you purchase a MBP through eBay. The item you are about to buy might be a stolen item. I experienced this before. I bought the 2.8Ghz Late '08 unibody MBP for $350 less than in Apple Store. I checked the seller's feedback and he is a powerseller. Last week, Apple phoned me that that the laptop was stolen on one of their warehouses. I was like WOW and shocked. The good thing is I already sold that laptop in March to a customer and therefore I'm safe. Just be careful when you make the purchase over eBay.

Why not buy from Apple or authorized reseller directly. Saves you trouble.

Hope that helps.

5. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I would not recommend buying a computer from Ebay. The truth of the matter is Ebay has changed so much from when it started back in the late 90's. Then it was a safe, fun, happy place where people could get good deals and bargains on many things. Now, Ebay has run its course. It has peaked and is in fact going down. I've been burned so many times it's not even funny. I run the other way now. They have chased away the mom and pop garage sale stuff and replaced them with people hacking counterfeit name brand stuff, faulty electronics, and computers with viruses. Amazon is much safer, more fun, and better to deal with. If you really want security, buy from Craigs' list. There you will see the computer you are buying and have the chance to turn it on before parting with your cash.

6. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Like I usually recommend, check Craigslist regularly. Unless you live in a rural area, you should come across legit and really solid deals. Many of the ads are overpriced, but once in awhile, someone realistic will offer his/her MacBook for sale.

In my area, there are plenty of fishy new MBPs for sale, with receipts. I believe that they are either stolen or were purchased with stolen credit cards. Beware of brand new MBPs. If I ever bought one of these, I would insist on calling the store on the invoice to ensure that the sale is legal.

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

See this thread, no more apple updates this year: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8717769#post8717769

And aren't you better off spending a little more money and buying from Apple, that way if anything goes wrong you can take it right on back! eBay is great for cheap stuff that you only expect to work for a few weeks, but don't think I'd have the confidence to buy something which I actually relied on! :)

8. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

I bought my Pismo PowerBook on eBay. I had a great experience, but now there are way too many scams out there.

The only way I would buy off eBay would be through a store, and there are a few of them still on there that have specialized in selling off lease computers and tech hardware, or somewhere local, just like Craigslist that you can meet publicly and check it out prior to buying.

If the person is on the up and up, they will understand, and be more then willing to meet publicly, if they dont, pass on the deal no matter how good it seems. Also doing it this way saves you save on the shipping that people are trying to make a few extra bucks on.

9. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

NEVER BUY A COMPUTER FROM EBAY!!!!!

I belong to a local car club and I would honestly say that 1-in-3 of the people in the club that have bought a car part from ebay have gotten completely screwed. I'm talking about parts ranging from $20 up to $5,000. They paid their money and NEVER saw the product or their money back. Even after filing complaints.

I would never trust ebay for anything that costs more that $50. And even if I bought something from there for $50 I would expect that there is a VERY good chance that I would get scammed.

Why make a gamble like that?