Buying a MBP through Amazon.. any thoughts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickC1028, Feb 12, 2008.

1. NickC1028 macrumors member

I am very interested in getting a MBP and not waiting anymore..

fortunately amazon has a 30 day buyers protection things. Do you think they will definitely drop the price of the current MBP if new ones are released in this time period? As far as i know i am entitled to the difference.

has anyone done this/know anything about it or have a suggestion

2. NickC1028 thread starter macrumors member

im 5 seconds away from ordering, any advice would be greatly appreciated ;)

3. lekun macrumors regular

I did and there is good and bad. First, I am only talking about buying through Amazon, specifically, and not one of their resellers.

Amazon's stock is old. So I got one that only had 10.4.10 on it and no drop in DVD for Leopard.

On the plus side, Amazon has great rebates, no tax (usually) and a very generous 30 day return policy. Which is great in these uncertain times of impending MBP updates.

Generally, if Apple updates a product and you are within your window, you can return yours, or you can get a further discount on the one you bought (i.e. Price guarantee).

So I like Amazon, except for the old stock, which is bad, because my MBP has the yellowing issue - so I am going to return it, and hold out another week for an update (or maybe go Air... decisions, decisions).

4. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

I have bought 2 macs from Amazon and never had a problem. I picked up a MacPro last week from them and it has worked perfectly.

A plus for me is prime shipping for $3.99, so I had my MacPro the next day. I didn't have to wait for Apple to ship it.

5. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I've always had good experience returning things on Amazon.

6. NickC1028 thread starter macrumors member

Are they known to waive restocking fees at all?

Should I call up and make sure that the MBP has leopard on it?

7. Antimatter macrumors regular

I just recently ordered the MacBook that's in my signature and it's perfect. It's the newest version with leopard and I got it the next day with overnight shipping plus a $100 rebate. Couldn't of gone better.

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

They did when I returned my first-generation MacBook Pro that I wasn't happy with (because of the typical CPU whine, LCD buzz and heat issues back then).

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Amazon is perhaps the best place to buy a Mac. They have the best customer service in the world. If your computer had an issue, you could return it for full refund, or replacement computer, for 30 days.

10. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

I ordered my Macbook Pro from them (basemodel) a couple weeks ago and it only came with 10.4.11 and no Leopard drop in.

I did have the yellowing problem, but I found a local apple authorized repair shop and got the screen replaced in only 2 days.

Last week, I decided to e-mail amazon about my machine not coming with Leopard.

"
    Hello, I recently purchased a new macbook pro from Amazon.com a week and a half ago, and I finally went to install Leopard today and realized that there is no upgrade cd in the box.

I would be upset to know that I ended up with less by choosing to give Amazon.com my business than I would have if I had bought a used machine directly from Apple. All new macs are supposed to come with Leopard, and the purchase date for my mac is beyond apple's window for their up-to-date program. Is there anything that can be done about this?"

I got a response a day later offering to give me a full refund for the computer. I had already purchased applecare, though, so I told them that I would have returned the computer, but I had already purchased applecare for it at significant cost to me and told them that I would like to see them ship me a copy of Leopard free of charge or at a reduced price.

I got a response a few hours later asking me to place an order for Leopard and to e-mail them the order number and they would waive the cost of the order.

It should be delivered to me tomorrow :)

11. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Apple Refurbished Section FTW (For The Win). Just my personal advice/2 cents.

12. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I have had great experiences with Amazon. I bought a MBP from them last year. They had a $150 rebate offer going. Unfortunately, I hadn't discovered MacRumors yet so I was unaware that the Santa Rosa machines were about to be introduced. The day after I received the machine, the SR MBP's were introduced. I returned the machine to Amazon for a full refund. Unfortunately, Amazon didn't offer a rebate on the SR machines, so I bought the new one from Mac Connection with a $150 rebate and no sales tax. After the fact, I found out that Mac Connection is not nearly as friendly about returns. Wouldn't you know that my SR machine had a defective SuperDrive! Fortunately, my local Apple Store saved the day and did an on the spot exchange for me even though I didn't buy the machine directly from Apple.

13. NickC1028 thread starter macrumors member

I'm receiving today from amazon

MBP 2.4, 2 Gig Ram, blah blah,

if they did happen to release new MBP's this Tuesday. Do you think they would give me a whole lot of trouble to return the Laptop and possibly waive restocking fee a since it is 15%? thats a lousy 365 bucks!!!

14. lekun macrumors regular

Did you have any problems getting the yellow-screen fixed under warranty? How noticeable was the yellow?

15. NickC1028 thread starter macrumors member