Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klaxons2012

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I'm going to buy a Penryn MBP next week from the Apple Store in San Francisco and I have a few questions in regards to what I can expect. I've always bought my Macs online or through Craigslist, so buying a new Mac in person is a whole new world.

First off, what has the availability of the Penryn Macs been like for the Brick and Mortar stores? And do they just sell the base model, or are they able to BTO in the store? I'd call the store, but I answer phones all day and the second I think about calling the store, the phone (hold on a moment, phone), rings.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
They have all base models in the store. They can order a BTO, but the only thing they can upgrade in the store in RAM, or they can install a new HD if you buy it somewhere else and bring it into them. In that respect, they are just like any retailer. If you want the faster processor or the LED backlight on the 17" you will have to order it from Apple (although the rumor is that they have a small contingent of LED 17" in stock, but that has not been confirmed).

TEG

toxthexnines

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
405/918
I agree with TEG, not much they can do but ram and HDD.

I would still go to the apple store to see a mbp before you buy it.

Klaxons2012

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Thanks! :)

The only thing I'd like to upgrade is the 200 gig hard drive to 250. Everything else is perfect. I'm buying ram through newegg and installing it myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.