Buying a MBP TODAY!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marie123456, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Marie123456 macrumors newbie

I am buying one today. I am so excited!!! I would order it online but I don't want to wait so off to the store I go this afternoon :D I am hoping my excitement isn't causing me to overlook anything

Is there anything that I should know as a first time MacBook Pro and Mac user?

I have been reading message boards a lot. Is there anything I should specifically ask the salesperson about or DEFINITELY BUY?

Computer:
    15-inch: 2.4GHz
    2GB memory
    200GB hard drive
    Double-layer SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256 MB

Accessory: I am still debating the sleeve or a bag pack case. I am thinking of getting the sleeve and just using a regular backpack. I might need the room but I don't really want everyone knowing I am carrying a laptop.

USB Flash Drive to take everything (pictures, files, etc) from my Dell PC (yuck!) to the Mac.

I was thinking of getting all of the accessories (except sleeve) from non-Apple just because it seems cheaper. I might need MS Office , MS XP, and Parallel or Fusion later - maybe get from Amazon because of price?

Is there anything else I should know or get?

Marie

edited to add: I don't think I have firewire. I am not buying everything today just the MBP and sleeve. I use to work for a cell phone company so I know prices can change fast -- it stinks but it happens and there is not really anything that can be done - so no angry posts from me :)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Welcome! The only thing you should know is don't make an angry thread on how you bought a MacBook Pro and they were updated 20 days later and you feel cheated.

If you have FireWire on the Dell, I believe you can pseudo-Target Disk Mode it to get your files transfered.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Welcome!

You don't have to do it all in one day... pace yourself!

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

4. Standard macrumors regular

I believe you will be very happy with your purchase. That is a great machine, you will be satisfied with its performance.

I recommend you look into purchasing an AppleCare Protection Plan off the bat. Depending on your career and insurance policies, you may be eligible to insure your laptop as well.

5. boxxer macrumors newbie

Enjoy, just received the exact same model on Thursday and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Will not go back to pc again.

Upgraded my memory to 4g's from the standard 2 last night. Would highly suggest it. Can get the extra memory from newegg cheap. piece of cake to install as well.

It is hard to pace yourself though, I want to get a new mouse, case and extra monitor but the wife won't let me charge it. So I guess, I'll get something new every couple weeks. Red InCase hard shell will be next.

6. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Congrats - I just bought one on sunday.

It's a sleek looking machine.

7. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Congrats!! I'm ordering mine On Saturday! (4 days and counting...)

Forget the haters you'll love this machine reguardless of if theres an update!

8. Guilfox macrumors member

Well done indeed.

Honestly you will be so happy with the performance and considering you are moving from a clunky old Dell you are going to be extra pleased with the design and sleekness of the MBP. Also the complete absence of bloatware with OS X. I love nothing more than showing off just how quickly mine boots in the office!

I don't seem to be a popular as I used to be but I put it down to jealousy!

Enjoy.

9. Marie123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it!! I love it. It is going to take a little bit of time to get use the the touchpad. Other than that it's great.. I should have done this sooner.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

11. digitalprty macrumors newbie

I just bought the same computer today. I was originally waiting for the new platform, but the summer class I'm taking is too internet intensive and I was getting tired of doing research on my touch. It's been months since my acer died, and I have finally decided to stop buying those crappy windows computers once and for all. (went through 3 computers in 4 years:mad:)

Spent all night setting up the computer with iwork and the printer, so I didn't get any actual homework done. Guess there'll be time for that tomorrow.;)

12. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

13. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Congratulations. You will love it! ;)

14. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

just keeping my posts warm :p

you know what we should have a bot doing this, every time someone wrights that they got a new mac, the bot will automatically say:

Congratulations. You will love it!

:D
    you can Do IT!

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

We can help! ;)

16. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Congratulations. You will love it! ;)

17. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I believe that you can use migration assistant and transfer your files from your dell over USB or Ethernet.

Don

18. Garemz macrumors regular