buying a MBP tomorrow with 128 SSD. need your opinion.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bchamorro, Feb 15, 2009.

1. bchamorro macrumors regular

I'm ordering a MBP with 128 SSD tomorrow, but im not 100% if the 128 SSD is for me BECAUE:

My music library is 135gb (apple losssles/about 400cds). I would prefer to have it in my computer's internal drive instead of having to carry an external harddrive.

That is the main reason. + I edit movies, record music, etc...

What do you think? Sacrifice not having my music in my internal for 128SSD? I just with 250GB was available with the 15inch MBP.

I won't be moving my mac around, unless if I travel. Which is once every month and half.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The main concern with a smaller HD is the ability to transfer your data from the MBP to an external hard drive and manage how you move your data on a frequent basis. You can run out of space rather quickly if you don't manage it properly. But, it can be done with the use of remote disk and a large external hard drive...:)

3. tdgrn macrumors 6502

If you aren't going to be carrying your computer with you a lot, then consider a desktop. You get much more computer per dollar (even though they haven't been updated in a while) plus the HDD will be much larger. If you do go with the MBP, I would say for you the 500 GB HDD would be better for you than the 128SSD. It just makes more sense. Why were you interested in the SSD in the first place if you know you have enough music to fill up the entire thing...?

4. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

SSD clearly isn't for you yet.

If you want SSD just wait a few years. For now, get a nice 500GB 7200rpm HD and enjoy.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

... SSD needs to come down in price and get larger/faster before the tech is worth while to become mainstream... don't waste your $$ on that upgrade...

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

If you're not too concerned with travel and subsequently battery life, go for a 7200rpm HD. You're bound to collect more music, so if your collection already exceeds the pre-format space, then you definately are going to feel cramped. And puttinf your music on an external will negate the speed od the SSD whrn it comes to music access. SSD is nice, but wait a year or two until they come down in price and up in size.

7. djl macrumors newbie

I was in a similar position - looking at SSDs but after doing a bit of research decided it would be better to wait a year or two as the technology improves and prices come down. I now have a seagate 320gb 16mb cache 7200 rpm hdd from a stock hitachi 100gb and the improvement is phenomenal (it is also a lot quieter). As others have said 500gb hdds are available look into seagates offering if it is anything like the 320gb version you will NOT be disappointed :)

8. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Like everyone else said, you should just go with the stock drive, then buy a new seagate 500GB 7200 RPM drive and put the stock drive in a portable enclosure, better yet you can get a portable FW800 enclosure and use it as a portable scratch disk when editing movies. Bearfeats did a test here, and it's faster than any notebook drive out there.

You will save yourself a couple hundred dollars, get faster performance, and have so much storage you won't even know what to do with yourself.