Buying a MBP! Where? Anti-glare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Peloria, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Peloria macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm finally going to buy my first MacBook Pro - today, hopefully! So far I've pretty much decided on the 15", 2.66Ghz model, but have a few questions for those in the know:

- I've heard the glossy/anti-glare discussion is mainly a personal preference, but would love to hear from those who have either and what they prefer. I'm a graphic designer, and everyone I talk to says a designer should go with anti-glare. There isn't an Apple store near me to go see what it really looks like.

- Best place to buy? If I do decide to go with the anti-glare option, can I only purchase it from Apple.com directly? Any downside to purchasing from Apple.com (other than the annoying sales tax)?

- I'll also be looking for a bag/case that I can carry my MBP in securely, along with file folders, work material, etc. Something stylish but functional! Not a backpack, more briefcasey but not stuffy. ;) I'm not sure I'm interested in those sleeves/covers for the MBP itself... opinions on that?

Any other tips or help is appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If you want any add-ons or upgrades to your computer right off the bat, it has to be ordered from Apple.com. So anti-glare = ordering online. Nothing wrong with that by itself other than horrible shipping companies.

That's all I got for ya. :D

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You can sometimes find the anti-glare on other websites, but good luck. Just to remind you, legally you are required to pay sales tax on your order, Apple is just different and charges the sales tax upfront.

As for the sleeve, check out this.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Yeah, if there was an Anti-Glare (or some other customization) you might find one at a reseller or an online store. The return policy on custom machines is worse (nonexistent?) than a stock machine, so it's not worth it for a store to buy them. Also, the price protection that stores would get when a new model came out wouldn't apply to a custome machine. If one did exist elsewhere, it would most likely be a cancelled order or an accidental order in which case you would have to get lucky.

I'm sure some place could buy a few of them to sell, but the risk is too high if they don't get sold, essentially.

5. lhotka macrumors regular

Most Apple stores stock a single anti-glare version for the 15 and 17" models.

The anti-glare model is IMHO, the only way to go. I can actually work without looking at myself all day, and it's MUCH easier to calibrate accurately.

6. Peloria thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of just taking a road trip to my nearest Apple Store (2 hours away) and picking up the 15" 2.8ghz version - supposedly the only anti-glare 15" they carry in-store.

Plus I'll be able to compare screens... but instinct tells me to get anti-glare.

Not ideal to have to drive so far, but at least I won't have to wait for it! :D

Thanks for the tip about the sleeve, but I'm looking for something a bit more... nice leather, maybe. Girly/professional. lol... a bag I can use for my MBP as well as other stuff, and looks nice in an upscale office environment.

Edit: Thinking of using one of these on it for when it's riding in a bag or not in use:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/laptopsuedejacket/laptopsuedejacket.htm

I have the same thing (from the same company) for my iPhone and love it.