Buying a MBP without RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akadmon, Dec 14, 2007.

1. akadmon macrumors 68010

Seems like the standard 2GB that comes with a MBP is borderline for most people, but given the unconscionably high price of Apple installed RAM, buying a 4GB is just plain stupid. Unfortunately, with both RAM slots occupied, the only way to get 4GB into MBP is to throw away the 2 1GB sticks that come with the machine and spending $150+ on 2 2GB sticks. It would be nice to be able to buy a MBP with no RAM while getting say a $100 price reduction from Apple. Anyone tried that?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nope. Apple will not sell a machine sans RAM.
    Your best bet is to sell off the 2 Gb of 1 Gb SODIMMs to someone with a CoreDuo machine for whom 2 Gb is their maximum.

3. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

I checked prices on OWC, and it seems I'd be lucky to get $50. Not worth the bother, unless someone is willing to show with cash in hand at my door.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

4gb pairs of RAM don't cost $150 unless you live in the year 2006. You can find several sets @ Newegg for under $100.

5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Someone will. That's exactly why craig invented craigslist! Try it, it works!

6. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Sadly...the only choice is to sell it on ebay or keep it if something goes wrong with your updated RAM....:cool:

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I have often find myself buying a new machine from Apple. While waiting for the machine I go out and pick up some RAM. When the machine arrives I replace the RAM and find myself on ebay or craigslist trying to get rid of the Apple RAM. It would be really nice to select no RAM save some cash and get what you want. It would be even nicer if Apple would not charge such a stupidly high price for RAM. Neither of these would ever happen, but one can dream....

8. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Yeah, it makes sense to keep it in case anything goes wrong with the machine while it's under warranty.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the new version of MBP which (knock on wood) will come with 4GB standard ;)