Buying a MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by candyapple8, Jun 23, 2008.

1. candyapple8 macrumors newbie

I need to get a new laptop soon (possibly in the next 2 weeks). I am planning to get a 15" MBP. I'm going to be using it mainly for photo and video editing. Before I place my order, I have a few questions I'm hoping someone could help me with.

1. Is there a noticeable difference between 2.4GHz and 2.6GHz processors?

2. Should I upgrade to the 200 GB 7200 rpm hd?

3. What are the best configurations to get the most out of final cut studio 2?

4. Will the MBP be able to run shake or adobe after effects?

5. What's the best external hd could I get?

6. What is the difference between getting the matte vs. glossy screen?

7. Is AppleCare worth it?

I think that's all I have for now. Feel free to add to any comments or concerns. TIA :)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. No.
    2. If you'd like. You can also buy separately and install it yourself, but the process is slightly arduous and tricky.
    4. Yes.
    6. Glossy's better for photos, matte's better if you don't like massive amounts of glare
    7. Let's see... $200 or $2000 as a new computer if something catastrophic goes wrong? I'm not saying that catastrophes happen very often at ALL, but 2.5 years down the road, and after three small problems, a fourth will snag you a current laptop.

3. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

1) Not unless you're really pushing the processor (i forget, does viedo editing do that?)
    2) Yes
    3) Max all the stats...but value for money wise, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM (3rd Party), 7200rpm HDD, 512MB 8600GT
    4) Yes
    5) I'd recommend anyone that has a firewire port
    6) glossy better for viewing stuff on the computer itself. matte will give a more accurate view of what the colours will be like printed
    7) it's up to you, but i'd splurge on Applecare if i was buying one of the most expensive macs...

4. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

DO NOT buy RAM from APPLE!

It's much cheaper to install yourself :D

5. candyapple8 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

Performance wise you should not see a difference in everyday tasks.. However, when using movie editing programs, it tends to push the processor a little harder. IMO have the 2.6 could make a slight difference. IMO I would also recommend 4GB ram. tends to make running multiple programs run more smoothly. ie. after affects, shake, FC, etc.

Glossy will look much prettier with photos and movies.

The only thing I can't be sure on is the differences with RPM's of HD. I'm not familiar with the differences as far as performance goes. May want to do some research.

7. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

For a high end machine like yours, certainly Applecare would be a good purchase, sadly, problems are likely to occur, especially on laptops. I bought Applecare and have already needed to use it to cover 3 repairs on my Macbook.

8. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

the difference is how fast data (such as programs and documents) can be taken from the HDD and opened.

atm...the bottlenecks in computers is the hard drive. hopefully, in a few years, all computers will move to SSD tecnology, like youcan get in the MacBook Air

9. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

That was my understanding of how it works. However... Something I have not been able to observer first hand.. ? Is it really noticeable. Will it make any difference....? Obviously performance will change, but, will it be substantial enough to pay for the upgrade?